snorkel tips with 2 days in Oahu boat or Hanauma Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, thanks for reading this over, I'm sure it's annoying getting the 'where should I go' question all the time. Hopefully the snorkel aspect makes it a little different?? :eyebrow:

So, my mother will be in Oahu for 2 days mid-April and was asking thinking about doing a catamaran tour. I'm wondering if she'll see more that way, or would it be better to just spend the extra time (boarding & transit) at Hanauma Bay? I was there in 2004-ish in late November, loved Hanauma Bay and also tried snorkeling Electric Beach, but remember horrid visibility. I haven't done any tropical diving and the snorkeling over that trip is the extent of my warm-water experience. She's dove the Caribbean, so there is that as a bench mark. She hasn't dove in a very long time and I don't know if her friend who she is going with is certified, so I think they are set on snorkeling.

In a nutshell, if a friend came to visit you in Oahu for 2 days, where would you take them snorkeling and would you recommend a boat-tour? Any other tips for them?? I suggested they get an exposure suit for snorkel-days, I think they'll bring mask/fins/snorkels.

many-many thank yous for anything you can offer. I'll send them this link and have them post more questions under my name if needed. I'll also give them the FAQ thread. I hope the Chile earthquake doesn't cause you problems! Stay safe!

If you're both strong enough swimmers to get out past the rocks at Hanauma, into water about 20'-30' deep, the viz is much improved and there's an abundance of coral that's shockingly colorful in comparison to the reef that's been trampled to death inside the rocks. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with Hanauma aside from the view from the parking lot.

For snorkeling, it's hard to beat Hawaiian Diving Adventure's Turtle Canyon tour IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom