List and Descriptions of Oahu Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike.chuanshi

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm attempting to put together a list of Oahu wreck dives:
View attachment Oahu_Wreck_Dives.pdf

I'm still pretty new to diving, so I'm largely ignorant to what all lies off the shores of this island.
Any sites and/or details about the sites would be much appreciated.
I'll continue to update the table as new information is provided.

Last edited:
M/V Friendship South Boat/Shore Technical Yes 185', for however long you feel like decoing 190' to the sand off the port bow, 240' a ways down the slope 5 Beware slight entanglement risk in forward p-way on the way to the engine room:

photo.jpg

See also here and here.

Some additional color for your chart.

Mahi: there are decent (relatively speaking) penetration options, but the wreck is quite unstable. The midsection has been collapsed for many years, and just a few months ago the port bow collapsed rather dramatically. The penetration into the stern still seems untouched, and the bow collapse has likely opened some options that weren't there before while closing off a bunch of others. If you're inside when the next part goes, you're probably going to have a very bad day.

YS-11 (Pacific Wings): these are actually two sets of airplane center fuselage/wings/engines in about 100'-110' of water directly off the stern of the YO-257, perhaps a minute or so swim away to the first set. Upon reaching the further wingtip from the YO of the first set, you'll be able to see the second set another half minute or so away. These are also subject to the currents that sometimes sweep the YO, are part of the sub tour route, and have no mooring ball or other ascent line on them...getting lost is certainly possible.

Nayusha/Navy Tug: 65' of water, used as a training site by the Navy so don't screw with anything there, easy dive if you don't penetrate, but aspects of penetration can be challenging because of entanglement/obstructions deliberately left/added to the wreck (I assume for training purposes).

P-12/Southeast Hanauma Bay: in about 160' of water (so outside the bay itself) just off the cables that run out of the bay. Beware of a strong (i.e., SS and Genesis scooters were pushed into high gear just to make decent headway against it) sub-surface current flowing out of the bay that may sneak up on you when you turn around, and budget air/scooter charge accordingly. Without a scooter, I've found it a hard kick back two times out of three now.

Old Coal Ship: all I'll say is that average depth is about 270' though you can hit 300' no problem and if you keep going down the steep slope you're not going to find a flat bottom any time soon.

Sea Tiger

Sea Tiger is no longer visited by submarines.

San Pedro lies directly paralled to YO and within visual range depending on viz, slightly upslope in probably 60'-70'. Mostly collapsed/buried in the bottom at this point.

All West side..
1. airplane wreck..appx 95 ft whats left of a twin beechcraft
2. Tanks..in Pokai Bay...5 WWII light tracked artillery movers in 25 ft
3.TORCH Wrecks...a bunch of ferro cement sailboats..mostly rubble now off maile
4.Two Navy LSU(Landing craft utility) off Maile..one 75 ft one 90 ft
5 29 DWN..off maile..whats left of a Dehaviland Heron commuter aircraft used in a tv show..appx 55 ft
6 Barge off Maile..appx 65 ft...its just a barge
7 mahi..WWII ship artificial reef 92 ft off Maile
8 Another Barge off Mahi...its another Barge..95 ft
9 Cars..Pile of old cars off Maile Point..mostly just car frames from the 50's I think..appx 75 ft

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom