Looking for Maui buddy June 18- July 3rd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So will be on Maui for a little over 2 weeks for the above dates and like to primarily shore dive in south Maui if anyone wants to hook up for a few dives. My pace is slow and slower finding and photographing critters. My phone number is 604-308-3565. Probably do 1 or 2 boat dives with Ed robinsons, Mike severns, B&B, or pro divers whoever has space. Have been with them all and they are all good.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

My wife and I are also traveling to Maui but we leave the day after you arrive. If your dates change (pull-in a few days) let me know so we can hook up.

Thanks,

Miguel

My wife and I will also be in Maui, staying in Kaanapali, from July 2 to July 9, and are looking for people to dive with. We'll be staying at the Hyatt and renting a car so we will be mobile along the west side of Maui (we're boaters at home, so we will also be renting a bare boat rental on one day so we can sail out and dive Molokini Crater, so we'd enjoy another diver or two to do that with as well) - we're looking for another couple or individuals to dive with - either a few of the shore dives or the crater. We're in our late 40s, professional, have all our own gear and intermediate OWD with 100+ dives (most in the cold Pacific NW :) ). michael@seawolfmedia.com

My wife and I are flying in from the Pacific Northwest to stay in Kaanapali area from July 2 to July 9, and also plan on doing a lot of shore dives in that area and the west side of Maui - as boat owners here in the PNW, we're also planning on renting a RIB one day so we can dive Molokini Crater (if anyone wants to possibly join us, let us know and we'll consider a bigger boat rental) - we'd love to find others there who may want to dive with us either at the crater or from shore - we're in our late 40s, bringing our own gear, (100+ dives, mostly cold water), and we'll have transportation - michael@seawolfmedia.com

Sounds like we could hook up at some time. I am interested in joining you out to the crater. My wife doesn't dive but my brother in law wants to see the crater. I'll be 50 in August(wow that's the first time I've written that) sounds old. Most of my dives are also cold water Vancouver area.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2014 at 01:33 PM ----------

Actually we leave on the night of the 3rd so it might not work. I would also recommend doing the crater with one of the local dive operators. They know the conditions very well plus it's probably less expensive to do it that way. Ed robinsons, mike Severns, B&B scuba, and pro diver are all good and leave from the Kehei boat launch (way closer to the crater) early in the mornings to avoid the trades that pick up typically late morning.

I'd recommend checking things out first before attempting to just rent a "bare boat" and heading out to the crater. The ocean is very unpredictable here and it's very easy to get yourself in a situation you'd rather not be in. Ask any local captain. They will concur with me... It's nothing like boating on a lake or inshore waterways. Here in Hawaii there's about 2,000 miles of open ocean in all directions...It gets rough in a hurry.

I don't know of any RIB's for rent either. Did you find one somewhere? I only know of one boat rental company here in Kihei and it's definitely not a RIB that they rent.

All the best, Shaka!

Hey Shaka - you run an operation down there, right? Can you suggest any alternatives?

The people we've been talking to are Maui Boat Rental - maui-boat-rental dot com - they're all over the next, and they seemed to be good people when I called them... are you saying they don't rent RIBs?

I own a boat out here in the Puget Sound area of Washington State and we usually boat off Neah Bay and Northern Vancouver Island - areas with some of the most unpredictable water and tidal currents on the North west coastline. If you think we'd be better off chartering a group tour, I'd love to hear your suggestions, since we'll be there in only a few weeks.

Thanks!

---------- Post added June 15th, 2014 at 07:54 PM ----------

Stuart - sorry we'll just be missing you! I'm actually also turning 50 in August! Imagine that! If you're in the BC mainland, you've probably seen a couple of the documentary films on orca whales that I co-produced out here... all three by KIRO, KOMO and KING that were televised in the last decade featured our underwater video work with the orcas - check out projectseawolf dot org for more info on our work (we also were the group that lead the effort to bring back that orphan BC orca calf Springer to her resident pod 10 years back)!

Aloha Michael,

i don't know the company you me mentioned so can't be sure of what they rent. I think a phone call would get you the most up to date info and do that we'll in advance of getting here to avoid disappointment.

With your experience you might be ready to take on the ocean here. The thing is, local knowledge goes a Long Way if conditions sour on you, and they do change quickly some days. Yesterday was one of those days... Reminded me of the beginning of Gilligans Island!!

i only really do shore dives these days so look for my bus down around Wailea and Makena if you are in the area and please say hello! I wish I could help you more...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom