Trip report: Kona, May 4-5, Jack's Diving Locker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Jack's Diving Locker, Kona:
This is a first-rate operation. Nice shop, nice boats with plenty of room to move around and tasty snacks, helpful instructors and crew, excellent gear. My only feedback to them is that on both days we showed up right when they told us to, and had to wait around about 15 minutes while they helped shop customers, and then we were running late. They should just tell people to arrive 15 minutes earlier than they do.

May 4th:

DH and I decided to do the Manta Ray Specialty class and two dives with Keller Laros. He's a true expert on Manta Rays, and also fun to be around. He has over 10,000 logged dives! We did some reading up on mantas ahead of time, with an e-book he sent to us. At the shop, he spent some time going through the class material with us and sharing some of his manta stories. We learned about the rays' life cycle, physiology, behavior, habitat, how to identify the sexes and individuals, and a few of their names. Keller's enthusiasm is obvious. We took our written tests and got our gear ready for diving.

Evening dive - Garden Eel Cove
Visibility: 100+ feet, Bottom temperature: 79 degrees, Nitrox
Boat dive, tiny waves, some surge
Max depth 81 feet, multilevel, 33 minutes

For us, this was an easy "shake out" dive to get back into the water and work out the kinks. We did weight checks and so on. Once underwater, we went to check out the garden eels on the sand flats for a few minutes, and played around with our GoPro settings a bit. There was a flounder on the sand flats too. Higher up on the reef, we saw plenty of nice Hawaiian coral and reef fish (butterfly fish, long-nosed butterfly fish, yellow and black tang, parrot fish, angelfish); many urchins; two manta rays gliding above us, near the surface; and a large green moray eel. We also checked out the "fire pit" ring of stones where the night dive would be held. John & I reached our ascent PSI first, so we had a shorter dive than some. We spent our surface interval on the boat, chatting and snacking while we waited for darkness.

Manta ray night dive - Garden Eel Cove
Visibility: 75+ feet, Bottom temperature: 79 degrees, Nitrox
Boat dive, tiny waves, significant surge
Max depth 37 feet, multilevel, 50 minutes

Some words to describe this dive: epic, magical, amazing, heavenly. We could see mantas from the boat, even before we got into the water. Keller identified 17 different mantas, and at times we could see 8 or 9 at once. We also had a close encounter with a hawksbill turtle right after we arrived at the "fire pit" area. The manta rays are huge (many are 10-12 feet across) but so graceful, and they swam within a few inches of us, over & over again. We could clearly see into their mouths, or the detail on their gills. We recognized a few of the individuals we learned about in class. I had trouble staying stable with the surge, so my videos are not great, but we did get a bit of video for the folks at home. After about a half-hour with the mantas at the "fire pit", we toured around the reef for a while, until it was time to head up. This was quite possibly our best dive ever.

May 5th:

We decided to do the Pelagic Magic black water dive. Before leaving the shop, we had a thorough briefing (really more like a class) from our instructor (and shop owner) Jeff Leicher. He has more than 15,000 logged dives! He taught us about the setup of the black water drift dive, how to safely use the equipment (tethers and lights), the ecology of the deep ocean where we would be diving, and the deep water and pelagic creatures we would see. We got our gear ready and took a boat ride out about 2-3 miles. In the course of the dive it's not unusual to drift 2-3 miles, but you can't feel it because the boat, divers, and sea life are all drifting together. There were six of us tethered to 50ft drop lines with 8ft tethers, plus Jeff with his video rig, not on a tether. The depth of the water is a few thousand feet, which naturally is a little unnerving at first, but you soon forget about it.

Pelagic Magic black water night dive - 2-3 miles off the Kona coast
Visibility: 50 feet, Bottom temperature: 79 degrees, Nitrox
Boat dive, small waves, drift dive
Max depth 43 feet, multilevel, 53 minutes

This dive is trippy and unique. It was dreamlike. Most of the sea life we saw was small and transparent, but these creatures reflect light, so they are shiny or even prismatic and sparkly in the lights. They move in strange ways too. Some squish along like jelly fish, others spiral through the water, some swim like shrimp or fish, and others move like worms or gnats. We saw larval octopi, lobsters, crabs, and fish, as well as many creatures not usually seen on the shallow reefs in the daylight, such as salps, pyrosomes, siphonophores, squid, pelagic shrimp, venus girdles, and several types of jellyfish, including comb jellies. We floated along and looked at shiny things. We never had to wait too long before finding the next interesting thing to look at. It was very relaxing, actually.

Ah, I do so love night dives!

Last edited:
Adding Keller's manta report just for fun:

Sunday, May 4, 2014, Seventeen Mantas @ Garden Eel Cove
I saw Lefty, Koie, Vallaray, Shirley, Kailey, Peg, Margo, Delany,
Linda, Jana, Eli, Grayer, Tim, Ralph's, Blain, Sugar and Vinny.
Plankton got to a 3 but there was some sand with it as a fews swells
came through.
Thirteen boats. Big Isle x 2, Jack's, Coral Sea, KOA, Neptune,
Kamanau, Wicked Wahine, Kona Honu, Miss Mojo, Aloha Kona, Kona Nai'a,
Splashers.
About 75 snorkelers and 30 scuba divers.
Good luck Monday.
Keller

Is the Manta Night dive less crowded on week days or is 13 boats just about a given on any night?

I will say, it felt crowded on the surface, but not underwater. The groups of divers were spread out a bit, and not everyone was underwater at exactly the same time.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your experience. I will forward your report to Jeff, Keller, and the rest of the crew. Mahalo for joining us and we look forward to your next visit!

Angela and the staff of Jack's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom