Looking for a Buddy to Shore Dive Maui (June 14-19 2014)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have plans to travel to Maui on vacation and while there, want to do as much shore diving as I can squeeze in. I am OW certified looking for a buddy to dive with. I am willing to pay for your oxygen tank rental in return for the favor.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Miguel

Miguel - my wife and I will be there the week after you leave, so if you find someone to rent tanks from, please let me know - we're looking for the same thing for a week... 80cf aluminium tanks, about 4 of them.

Cheers!

Michael

Miguel,

Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei has a buddy sign up sheet. They also guide if you don't find anyone. Shore Dives - Maui Dreams Dive Co So does Shaka Doug ^...both in the Kihei area. For a guide in West Maui there's Lahaina Divers or Tiny Bubbles. But for what they get, it's almost as cheap to boat dive. And a better dive.

so if you find someone to rent tanks from
Tank rentals are at about 1/2 the Maui Dive Shops. The ones that say "Scuba" in the description here: Maui Dive Shop Locations

Up around Kahana/Kaanbapali it's convenient at Kahana Gateway mall - you'll see it from the main road. Also Lahaina Gateway Mall.

In downtown Lahaina - Lahaina Divers also. Maui Beach Diving

In Kihei the two Maui Dive shops there. Never been to either so IDK where they are.

Or Maui Dreams Dive Co. Maui Dreams Dive Co - rentals, Maui HI

Or B&B Scuba. Maui Scuba Tank Fills and Scuba Rentals

Towing a flag is the law. Or at least towing one out and tying it off to something dead nearby. :wink: Around Kihei/Wailea they check. And cite. Probably in West Maui also, we just never saw the warden there.

One. And you can rent them at most shops. $20 for the week at Maui Dreams Dive Co.
(a) A "diver's flag" as defined by rule and measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches shall be required to be displayed on the surface of the water by any person or group of persons engaged in free diving or SCUBA diving.

I'm not saying that I always do - ymmv. In fact for years we didn't even know you had to. I have seen the ranger once at a popular Kihei site with binoculars. I assume that's what he was checking as he was in uniform. No one came out of the water b4 we left so IDK if anything happened. Mostly my previous post was anecdotal, I've read of others here being asked.

No offense intended but you guys should just hire a guide. It's clear enough from your questions that you would benefit greatly from some local knowledge the day of your dives. Conditions vary greatly from day to day and site to site. You won't waste your time doing it wrong and won't have to worry about rules, regulations, dive flags, proper weight, navigation, etc. etc.

If you really want to get the most from your dives I know a guy who can help...:wink:

Thanks everyone for the reply's to my post and I apologize for the novice comment regarding oxygen....argh! Putting that aside, I want to thank Shaka Doug and DIVERSTEVE for the suggestions. I think I will follow the advice given and hire a guide. If anyone is interested in a shore dive in Makena on Saturday, let me know your rate (maguerra67@hotmail.com). I will have my own gear....just need weights and tank.

Nice diving with you Miguel! We sure did have some awesome conditions this weekend. When are we going again? I'm ready for that night dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom