Kona Aggressor-First Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cubbiegirlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I booked a last-minute trip for the Kona aggressor next week and I am still debating which wetsuit to bring (3mm or 5mm). I don't tend to chill easily, but I've also never done more than 3 dives in a day, and I understand I may chill more than I am used to. (And when I say I don't chill easily, I mean it. I dive Lake Michigan in a wetsuit... Although I do want to get my dry suit cert this year.). Would it be overkill to bring them both? I'm thinking it might be nice to wear the 3 mm during the days and a 5 mm at night or for deeper dives. But I know it is imperative to pack light on a liveaboard... I don't want to commit a faux pax.

Anything else I should bring for a liveaboard that I may not have thought of having only done land based trips? (I know to bring not much in the way of clothing or shoes. :)). And does anyone know if there is any land-based storage nearby? I am doing some hiking and a horseback ride topside after the trip and need real pants and real shoes, but I hate to haul that stuff on the boat where I most certainly will NOT use it. I am staying at the king kamehameha the night before the trip but am not staying there after (when I'll be venturing past Kailua-kona), so I'm wondering if they would let me stow my stuff.

Any other tips or advice is much appreciated. (Or stories!). I am so excited and have been doing nothing but troll the Internet reading and I think I may have reached the end of the Internet, so new reading material will make me happy. :D

(Side note-I checked the big island divers website because I hear they post manta counts for the night before and it says 35 today. That CAN'T be right, can it? It must be 3-5 or something...)

5 mil. or 7 mil. The waters around Hawaii aren't warm. I would guess 35 or so mantas when I was there, course, that was '96.

I suggest bringing your 5 mil and and undershirt such as a rash guard or polyolefin t-shirt. You might also bring a hood for the later dives in the day. That should keep you reasonably comfortable. Bringing two full suits would be overkill.

Another option would be your 3 mill with Lavacore or Sharkskin underneath. I find that's a nice combo for travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[/COLOR]
5 mil. or 7 mil. The waters around Hawaii aren't warm. I would guess 35 or so mantas when I was there, course, that was '96.

Not warm is relative. My last Lake Michigan dive the bottom temp was 45. I assure you it will feel warm to me! :)

I'm seeing now estimates of temps around 80. That would probably be warm for me for a 5 mm so maybe I'll just look for something under my 3 mm. (Unless that water temp is wrong.)

I just hope I'm lucky enough to see some mantas. To see that many must have been amazing!!!

Mahalo to all!

IMO a 5mm fullsuit would be overkill for Hawaii this time of year, and you'll be uncomfortable out of the water. You do see some divers with 5mm shorties. I go with a 2.5mm fullsuit and usually go Nov-Apr, when the waters are a bit colder. Dives are usually 75 minutes minimum, as long as nearly 2 hr, often two dives/day, and often relatively low-exertion due to taking pics and whatnot. I consider myself more towards the 'gets cold easily; doesn't like cold' end of the spectrum. The only time in ~15 trips/>200 dives that the 2.5 has left me cold was one trip in Feb/Mar when the water was reputedly about the coldest anyone could remember (apparently, Feb/Mar is the low of the cycle). I took a 4mm fullsuit one trip and hated it out of the water, though it was indeed toasty while diving. In truth, I've taken it other trips and never used it.

One tip if you don't take the heavier suit but want something in reserve - get a thin neoprene dive cap. They make a lot of difference.

IMO a 5mm fullsuit would be overkill for Hawaii this time of year, and you'll be uncomfortable out of the water. You do see some divers with 5mm shorties. I go with a 2.5mm fullsuit and usually go Nov-Apr, when the waters are a bit colder. Dives are usually 75 minutes minimum, as long as nearly 2 hr, often two dives/day, and often relatively low-exertion due to taking pics and whatnot. I consider myself more towards the 'gets cold easily; doesn't like cold' end of the spectrum. The only time in ~15 trips/>200 dives that the 2.5 has left me cold was one trip in Feb/Mar when the water was reputedly about the coldest anyone could remember (apparently, Feb/Mar is the low of the cycle). I took a 4mm fullsuit one trip and hated it out of the water, though it was indeed toasty while diving. In truth, I've taken it other trips and never used it.

One tip if you don't take the heavier suit but want something in reserve - get a thin neoprene dive cap. They make a lot of difference.

Thanks! I think I have a beanie lying around somewhere. Definitely on the "find and pack" list. :)

It's all about your individual cold tolerance. We're on Maui right now and our computers showed 79 degrees this morning. Keep in mind that the temperature is pretty much the same regardless of depth. If you plan for 79 degrees, you'll know what to bring.

It's all about your individual cold tolerance. We're on Maui right now and our computers showed 79 degrees this morning. Keep in mind that the temperature is pretty much the same regardless of depth. If you plan for 79 degrees, you'll know what to bring.

Thanks! I assume water temp is comparable on both islands?

Thanks!

Any thoughts from anyone on stowing stuff on land for topside activities I won't need on the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom