Kauai Diving suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are spending month in Kaui and are looking for a shop to dive with any suggestions?

I've had very good times (multiple trips) with Fathom Five, both for boat and shore diving.

Fathom Five or Seasport Divers are probably the two best. They also have boats.... The other option is Bubbles Below out of Port Allen on the west side. Kauai Down Under is the house shop at the Sheraton - they have a RIB also for diving in the south.

If you're staying up on the north shore it's a long drive to any of them - the first two are in Poipu.

Seasport also has a shop in Kapaa but their boats are in Poipu harbor. AFAIK all the other shops either place you on someone else's boat or shore dive only. But things may have changed since I last checked.

For shore diving on the north side Fathom Five's affiliated operation - Ocean Quest - shore dives at Tunnels Beach. It's about the best shore dive there but not in the winter months when the big waves shut down the north side.

They also shut down dives out to Ni'ihau - probably the best dives off Kauai but they're probably over for the season about now - they'll start up again around April.

I am currently in Kauai and would love to share notes or go shore diving together. I feel like a lot of the dive shops are in the business of selling rather than promoting diving and I have had a few weird experiences in y two day here. I would dive with Fathom Five again but not bubbles Below....in part because they manually tally their online registrations, which in our case meant no nitrox and needling to add din to yoke adapters (the guy in the dive shop had no idea what din is, and the dm had no idea if they had any tanks with din valves.

tomorrow weather looks bad, but we may try Prince Kuhio beach or Koloa Landing.

Les

I dove with Bubbles Below. They were pretty decent; didn't run into any problems like the guy above. Smaller operation though, and the only other guy on my day cancelled a few days prior to dive day, so I ended up paying extra for the boat to take me alone and they threw in an extra dive. Not ideal, but it worked out and they were flexible with me, which I appreciated, as it was my only day I could dive on my quick trip for a wedding.

I went with Fathom Five and had a great experience.

I dove with SeaSport when I was there and had an outstanding experience. Did 3 days of boat diving and a trip to Ni'ihau which, IMO, is a must do if your timing cooperates. I also did a guided shore dive at Koloa Landing with them. Great captains, DMs and dives. A top notch outfit that rivals the best I've seen anywhere I've been. Highly recommended!

Check out Fathom Five and dive with Anthony if you can. My son and I had four days with them and Anthony is first rate. He will make sure you get the dive that you want (sharks? turtles? explore?, etc) he is a great guy to dive with.

We dove with Kapaa dive shop and had a good experience, although I had an allergic reaction to an anti-fog I had never used before and had to cancel further diving (looked like I had lost a bar fight).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom