Oahu dive operator recommendations for newly certified divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

Myself and a friend are heading to Oahu for a few days in early Dec and were hoping to do a dive when we get there. We're only newly certified, I got my OW 2 weeks ago, and my friend should be getting her OW the weekend before we leave so a company a little more forgiving for beginners would be great!

We're only in Oahu for a few days, and not to be a typical tourist, I'd love to see turtles and marine life. I was really hoping to do the manta ray night dive with Jack's Locker, but Kona isn't on our itinerary :(
We won't have any gear with us either, so we'd need all the gear too.

Thanks for the help :)

Kaimana may be able to get you some mantas and some awesome beginner diving: call Gabe at Kaimana Divers and see about getting out to Mario World. Mantas not guaranteed, but I've gotten to scooter with them twice in that area just during the day and other have seen them there as well. The dive site is also fairly epic for a shallow Oahu reef...stay out of the pipes, though :wink:

For turtles as a sure thing, see about the YO-257 or Sea Tiger. The Sea Tiger is 120' to the sand, while the YO is 90-100' to the sand, but both are easily doable dives for a newer diver assuming you're confident and can show an operator you know what you're doing on an initial dive. Between the two, the Sea Tiger is probably easier due to the better viz and general lack of current, and has more consistent turtles to boot. Both Kaimana and Hawaiian Diving Adventures are great ops going to those wrecks...whether you're qualified and confident going to them is between you and the operator. There are plenty of other reefs where turtles usually hang out, too, that are shallower...but those are pretty boring dives IMO :wink:

Second Kaimana divers! Their afternoon dives are normally two shallow reef dives that would seem to fit your experience levels.

I'll have to put in a third vote for Gabe at Kaimana Divers. While I have yet to dive with Gabe, I have sent a handful of customers to him, all have returned with great reviews.

Great, thanks for the responses! I'll send off an email to Kaimana. I'd call, but shop hours are usually when I'm asleep. (damn time difference!)

Thanks for all the shout outs guys...... What I love about diving here on Oahu everyday is that there really is something for everyone.

As mentioned above the wrecks dives are incredible. Deeper depths for newly minted Open Water Divers (80 to 100 feet) but a great variety of marine life. In the past month alone we have found 2 species of nudibranch that aren't normally seen and countless eel, octopus, rays, sharks, turtles and even a few encounters with dolphins.

The shallow reefs are solid as well. You can see all of the above critters and schools of amazing reef fish. We found a frogfish yesterday that blew my mind! Marbled in a pattern and color of green that was just intense! With a few days to explore the diving on Oahu I think we can hook you up with a pretty good show. Drop me a line using the contact form on our website or email me at gabe@waikikiscuba.com

Mahalo!

G

Hey Gabe, Don't forget Turtle Canyon.... Lots and lots...

I agree with everyone else in a vote for Gabe. I have dove with him on numerous occasions and have always had a great time.

Did two dives with Kaimana this morning. Saw two turtles on the Sea Tiger.

I was there in feb as a new diver and went with reef pirates. Could not have been better. Picked us up at out hotel and the best part was they only take 6 ppl out! No kettle here! Saw a few wrecks and tons of turtles. We are heading back to HI and already book 3 two tank dives with them.
also Orvil their photographer is a badass with a camera and posted the picks for free from each dive

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom