Shore dives on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smart8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a few boat dives booked for our trip in early December but wondering what are the best shore dives.
Also, any places to rent tanks, staying at the Hale Koa downtown so somewhere close would be better/easier but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks guys!
Jeff

Hey Jeff.....

The short answer is that shore diving in the winter time is tricky. With any South or West swell most of those dives are off limits. The general pattern is to have more surf on the North Shore at those times. For instance, here's a surf report for Oahu's west facing shores for the coming week:

Screen shot 2014-11-22 at 8.04.05 AM.jpg

Pretty unlikely that any day past Saturday would be fun for a shore entry for even the most seasoned diver. Even IF you could somehow negotiate your way through the surf, the water is so churned up just past the breaks that the visibility may be 5 to 10 feet at best. Thus, it's safe to say that no one will be diving on the West Side.

My advice is to wait until you are here and check the surf report religiously. If you notice that it's 2-3 one day and then 1-2 the next and finally 0-1 the following day then that's a good sign. We generally don't head out unless it's 0-1. Hope this helps you and others. As always when shore diving it's best to be guided by someone who is experienced with the site and the general conditions and areas where you might get into trouble. Electric Beach, Makaha Caverns and Magic Island are the only 3 (aside from Hanauma Bay) that I would recommend to any visitors...... again, condition dependent.

Aloha!

G

Jeff,
I would also recommend checking out multiple surf reports. I personally like to use SurfLine for all my shore diving needs. It hasn't steered me wrong yet!

Jonathan

awesome info!
thanks for all the help and guidance
Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom