2015 Hawaii Tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishtal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've checked in. I lost my Dad to melanoma in October and I'm bringing my Mom to HI for her first time. She doesn't dive, but I do and I'm looking for some input... I have a buddy on Oahu to dive with already so that part is covered. We will also be going to Maui and the Big Island.

Our schedule:
HNL: 2/16 - 2/23
KOA: 2/23 - 2/27
OGG: 2/27 - 3/6
HNL: 3/6 - 3/11

1. I'd like to do a day and a night dive in Kona (mantas)
2. I'd like to do a day trip to Lana'i that includes a dive, or 2, for me (Ferry from Maui?)
3. I've done a few dives in Maui/Molokini, looking for something cool.

As I mentioned, Mom doesn't dive. I might be able to get her into snorkeling, but I'm not sure yet. I'd like to take her with me while I dive but I hate to spend $$$ for her to just be on the boat while I'm in the water. Any thoughts, suggestions, input would be great!

Mahalo,
Tal

Tal,

Not sure if you will find this helpful, as you've been to Maui and I haven't. I'll be in Maui from Jan 25th to Feb 1st. I plan on doing a fair bit of diving, mostly boat diving. I found this to be a useful thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ha...ng-december-also-good-dive-package-deals.html

From the advice there, I've opted to stay in Kihei and dive with Maui Dive Scooters and Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures out of Kihei (plus the wedding that I will be attending isn't far from Kihei).

I think that Lanai is more accessible from Lahaina. Check out that thread and contact the various shops. I cannot wait to get there and try out my new XDEEP Ghost. Tried it in a pool, and boy talk about stable!

I'll be curious what you decide to do.

Kosta

I recommend Kona Diving Company on the Big Island and Ed Robinson on Maui. I have not dove on any of the others except Oahu and I dive with Kaimana Divers. All great shops!

When your on Maui go on the scooters with www,mauiscooterdivers.com Such a "BLAST". I will be on maui in february just not sure of the dates yet. We can do a dive togeather if we are there at the same time. Enjoy the scooters

We like Kona Diving Company also. They do the Manta dive. My buddy dove with about 500 spinner dolphins at a site they picked known for it during day dives. See if you can find someone going to Red Hill in south Kona also - supposed to be among the best. Big Island Divers does if they have enough people. If you take Mom to the Volcanoes Nat'l Park, the elevation is around 4000' or so. The saddle road over to the east side is even higher. Mom might like Akaka Falls also.

You've been to Maui so the dayboats diving Lana'i are Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons or Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. (there's one more that I can never remember) out of Lahaina. "Cool" dives - Sharkfin Rock, the Sisters - if they'll take you that far. Obviously the signature dives there are the Cathedrals. Lahaina Divers also does West Lanai Drift dives once a week. And they go looking for Hammerheads off Molokai - I've read that can be hit/miss.

If you take the ferry over your only option is the shallow shore dive at Huloppoe Bay or boat diving with Trilogy - the big catamaran people. They have the only shop there - and IIRC a jetboat. Most of Lana'i is too high for access. I'm pretty sure the ferry only runs from about 6AM to 6:30?PM. The one that docks by Pioneer Inn in Lahaina - IDK if there's others.

Humpbacks should still be there so take Mom on a cruise. There's those big powered cats out of Ma'alea if she's not good on small boats. One is run by a whale conservation group.

Thanks for the tips. I checked with Trilogy and their 2 tank boat dive is $212, which seems pricey. It is pretty much my only option for Lana'i if I want to spend the rest of the day on the island. Is the diving on Lana'i as good as I've read?

I will be taking Mom on at least 1 whale watch trip out of Maalaea since we're staying in Kihei.

Lahaina Divers out of Lahaina, Maui (west end) will do a 2 tank run over to Lanai to do the cathedrals- very cool, and worth the trip. Other Maui diving close in that I would suggest is using that same outfit if they will go to Olawalu ( a short boat ride) and then maybe Mala pier ( very close) which ia a unique shallow dive with white tips, tons of turtles and great macro stuff. Have a great trip.
DivemasterDennis

I've pretty much settled on going with Trilogy so we can spend some time on Lanai after my dives. I was really hoping to get some opinions on the actual diving there... I read that it's really nice but on never knows. Can anyone chime in and let me know?

I'm probably going to limit my dives to this one and a dive, or two, on Kona. I love the night dive with the Mantas! I will also dive with my buddy while on Oahu but skip Maui diving in favor of Lanai on this trip unless has anything to say that will change my mind.

To elaborate on what type of diving I'm looking for... I prefer reefs and reef fishes. Not a huge fan of sharks but I love whales. Wrecks are OK too. I'm hoping to get a GoPro cam for the trip, my current cam is only good down to 10m. Mahalo!

At Sharkfin off Lana'i we saw lots of Moorish Idols holding against the curent there - out at the end of the rock where it drops off. About a thousand Yellow Tangs also. And hundreds of other tangs, Convict, Achilles, maybe some Naso's? etc. Lots of butterflys also - I remember Raccoons and Milletseeds. And 3-4 reef sharks nearby. The rest of our boat went in towards Lana'i and dove the wall there - found octo's with the DM. Ripping current when you get around to the outside but there's sandy depressions you can shelter in.

Except for when you dive near where the snorkel boats feed the fish at Molokini, I'd say it was the 2nd fishiest spot I've been to. Fish Rock seems like a good option also but I haven't been there. There's also a lot of Yellow Tangs in Hulopoe Bay. Within range of your current camera most likely.

I wouldn't dive the Cathedrals if you're expecting a lot of fish. Except for the squirrelfish sheltering in C1 you won't see more than a dozen or so. It's more about the light and the experience.

Carpathian is the wreck off Maui known for turtles. My buddy dove it a few years ago and several came up to meet him. Deper wreck - about 100'. Lahaina Divers goes there Monday afternoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom