Jobs in Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schlubme

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How does one get into commercial diving w/o the upfront expense? Are there any out there? Ive seen you comercial guys on here, can you give some advise?

Well let's look at this systematically. I am an employer looking for a commercial diver and I have only 2 applicants. #1 is a nice guy with 25 to 49 recreational dives who brazenly brags about diving solo at a very early stage of experience by his own profile, one who did not listen to what he was taught in that regard exposing himself and anyone who dives with them to unnecessary danger or #2 is an applicant of roughly the same age, a graduate of a recognized commercial diving school where he/she has spent thousands of dollars and gained lots of experience and hundreds of dives using commercial diving equipment and techniques. Hmmmmmm, wonder who I'd hire?

Join the military, do your time, and use your GI benefits to pay for the school.

Don Wray:
Well let's look at this systematically. I am an employer looking for a commercial diver and I have only 2 applicants. #1 is a nice guy with 25 to 49 recreational dives who brazenly brags about diving solo at a very early stage of experience by his own profile, one who did not listen to what he was taught in that regard exposing himself and anyone who dives with them to unnecessary danger or #2 is an applicant of roughly the same age, a graduate of a recognized commercial diving school where he/she has spent thousands of dollars and gained lots of experience and hundreds of dives using commercial diving equipment and techniques. Hmmmmmm, wonder who I'd hire?

Join the military, do your time, and use your GI benefits to pay for the school.

Well Said...:)...lol

If you think education is expensive consider ignorance.

Go to the school in LA and get trained. Then go to work.

Short cuts usually result in a short life in diving.

I'm sure being a marine biologist you get to dive alot, thats what I'm trying to be. :D

Thanks for the input. Though not very much information. I need to be more articulate. Where is a good place to start...education? Where are the best schools? ...equipment? Who has the most knowledge?....Employeers?Are there any out there that will send someone to school? Who has the best safety record?

I joined this board to get contructive advise, information for more training, and to find people who want to dive.

good place to start... dive school, isee your in ohio id go to divers institute to get your dcbc cert so you can work worldwide, equipment matters on where you go to work.i know companyswere paying tution reimbersment but now things slowed down in the gulf they have stoped. my best advice for you is to check out longstreath.com and offshorediver.com to get some more response from working divers

Brandon gave you some real good advice.

Check out the marine technology program at Santa Barbara City College. The education is top notch, the diving program is excellent, the instructors are excellent. It is a public supported school, so fees are extremely reasonable. Santa Barbara is a very expensive place to live but with a number of universities it can be a very fun place. It takes longer than a commercial school, but when you get out you have an associates (two year degree) which is helpful if you decide to go on to a four year degree.

Ok, I am biased having gone to school there and later taught there (although not in diving). I have had jobs where diving was part of what I did, although not my primary work. It is a great way to make a living.

I have been an educator for a number of years, so if you would like to contact by pm to continue this coversation, feel free to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom