San Francisco Aquarium Looking for Volunteer Scuba Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives

CALIFORNIA DIVER — AUGUST 27, 2014

Looking for a dive site with perfect conditions year ’round, where you’ll always have a buddy, and you’re guaranteed to see some amazing sea life?
The California Academy of Sciences is looking to recruit San Francisco Bay Area divers to join their intrepid team of dive volunteers. Volunteer divers are primarily responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of their iconic exhibits and participating in their Philippine Coral Reef dive shows.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in an aquarium environment and learn a specialized type of diving.
If you’re interested, you’ll need to qualify with a combination of experience and training, and be able to make a 1-year commitment. Specifically, the minimum requirements to become a volunteer diver are as follows:
1. Hold at least a rescue diver certification with a nationally recognized Scuba Training Organization
2. Have a current (within the last 2 years) CPR/Oxygen administration/AED/First Aid certification
3. Have at least 40 logged dives
4. Have DAN Dive Insurance

The qualified candidates that possess these minimum requirements must then interview with Academy Volunteer Services, pass a diving medical exam by their physician, and then pass a swim test/pool checkout dive with me.
The Academy of Sciences asks for a one-year commitment and requires a minimum of two full day shifts a month. This is a big commitment and admittedly not for everyone. Additionally, they are looking for highly motivated and dedicated people who work well in a team environment.

If this sounds like you, then your first step to becoming a volunteer diver is to contact Rosalind Henning, the Academy’s Volunteer Services Coordinator, for an application and to schedule an interview. Her email is rhenning@calacademy.org.

It's been two years since I read your original post, a happenstance which began an incredible two year personal SCUBA odyssey, culminating in having participated in the Monterey Bay Aquarium's, Day of Discovery!
I've included a photo of one of the countless encounters I've had with guests at the California Academy of Sciences.

Attachments

• CalAcademyAmazon.jpg
    CalAcademyAmazon.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 104
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom