Looking for an individual that is willing to exchange work for dive courses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Faviluboat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We are a couple that have intentions of opening a dive center in the Canary Islands. We are looking for someone who can cook for 12 people on board of our boat for full day excursions. We offer free courses, live on the boat. Au pair treatment with pocket money. We need people with boat driving licenses even if you're not a DM. Looking for DM or divers in search of experience and free instruction in exchange for working with us. Preferably a female PADI instructor German and English speaking.
We are willing to hire people also without experience but with a lot of will to learn and work hard.

We do offer a salary to the instructor PADI , the boat captain receive all ready a salary, depend on the skills and ability the salary we offer. I have been in the dive business more than the majority of you guys.
there as never been a problem with internship and diving center.
That"s how I became an instructor in 1994.
i don't have to justify my self with people not interested in knowing before speaking bul..it.
You guys thinking can we want to entrap a woman on board make me sick. Hallo it's a dive center not a charter. It just happen can we have a big dive boat with 3 cabins. The instructor, the captain and the cook will have 2 rooms to share.
my wife and I we have our apartment. We don't even sleep on board bat we like to keep our room just for ourself or empty-closed. So the staff are the pervert??? Captain and German/ English instructor getting a salary and as accommodation on a 14.5 mt yacht that's not so bad, no??? And the "boss" it's not even there. If I was the young internship I would party every night!!
So sounds like you guys don't know nothing big mouth small brain
before you open your mouth you should know what you are talking about

---------- Post added September 16th, 2014 at 02:03 PM ----------

We own 2 dive boats and 1 dive rib's we are a Mares SSI Coltri DAN dive center
1 boat it's 14,5 mt, the other dive boat it's 7 mt and a 5 mt rib's. We are a legitimate company owned by us a couple italo/American, togheter since 2000 happily married since 2005.
any more comment about sex or slavery are very stupid and really not needed

---------- Post added September 16th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

Opening in November in canary island no charter, land based dive center offering full day trip and single dive by boat / jeep

No we don't post ads looking for slave labor. Or to put a female in two room with a male captain and an instructor? Why not her own accommodation? Try this:

Dive Center staff member/Cook - duties to include cooking on one of our three boats for overnight guests, some crew responsibilities, maintenance duties as required, and a plus if you can drive a boat and are familiar with the operations of such.

Salary determined by training and experience starting at $1000.00 per week plus PRIVATE accommodation. Salary based on 5 day 40 hour week with overtime for any hours over 8 per day. Other perks for interested party include free scuba diving certification, healthcare, vacation, holidays, personal days, and use of vehicle for land duties related to cook position.

That is how to treat an employee. Not "Female wanted to bunk with two guys, to cook, drive boat, and whatever else is needed. In exchange you get free scuba courses and spare change."

For the last time there is 2 cabin x the staff each cabin have 2 beds and a bathroom.
we plan to have for now until we get a staff house living on the. 48 feet long motor yacht only the captain, the cook and the instructor. 1 cabin x the boys one for the girls.
3 people 4 bed 2 cabin 2 toilets
Ok? Please if you don't have nothing to do with our ads can You leave as alone ?
We understud we are not good like You guys and all now please

I think part of the reason why you got such a strong initial reaction is that you are having a little difficulty conveying all the details in English. After several posts, the details are emerging, and it is becoming clearer that you have good intentions. You will probably find someone who is interested in this position. It sounds like the kind of thing that an adventurous young person might want to do for a few months, and if it works out, stay on and ask to be paid a proper wage. This kind of internship does not seem out of line to me. Good luck.

In 1993/1994 internship sharing a cabin I had no salary Italy
in 1995 working as an instructor staff house.very crowded 300 usd/ month salary egypt
In 1996 working as an instructor staff house 2 people x room 600 usd/ month Egypt
1995/98 manager 1500 USD/ month apartment paid by me private Mexico
1999/2000 manager 1300/month salary apartment paid by me private Egypt
2001 instructor 400 euro/ month salary 60 USD X private staff house Malta
2002 manager 1000 euro / month salary private staff house included Italy
That happened to me long ago when I was young I am sure many people had it better
What we offer it depend on the experience position of the job etc
we are very honest reasonable people plus there is labour law , minimum wage etc in Spain
Spain 2014 Europe
before to speak allways turn the brain on
or simply can You people leave us alone unless you are looking for a serious job with Us in Canary Islands
thank You

Faviluboat, I think that you intentions are good and you (and some SB'ers) are caught in some regional and cultural boundaries. Most of the responses have been from US members. Our approach to the dive industry is just a bit different that what you are used to.
I realize that you want a woman to make your crew more diverse. That's a good thing! The wage and work concept here in the US is a bit different. A good chef makes a LOT of $$.
We would view what you are looking for as a salaried position based on training and experience. And I happen to be a hell of a good cook and 6' 3", 215 pounds, 30+ years of diving, DM and instructor, with lots of military/police type training.

Faviluboat, I think that you intentions are good and you (and some SB'ers) are caught in some regional and cultural boundaries. Most of the responses have been from US members. Our approach to the dive industry is just a bit different that what you are used to.
I realize that you want a woman to make your crew more diverse. That's a good thing! The wage and work concept here in the US is a bit different. A good chef makes a LOT of $$.
We would view what you are looking for as a salaried position based on training and experience. . . .

Yep. The kind of person who would jump at this might be the sailboat groupie types who seek positions as crew in exchange for free passage and adventure. They comb the message boards for these unpaid positions. A boat that will take them on for a long journey is the holy grail. The ones I met seemed to most often respond by saying "I know nothing about sailboats, but I can cook." They may be overestimating their ability to cook in a boat galley for a group, but there is apparently no shortage of people who believe they have cooking skills to offer. I suspect there are plenty of unemployed young Europeans who speak some German and English who would like to be taught to be divemasters in the Canary Islands in exchange for a little work, especially cooking. (Have you seen the youth unemployment rates?) I just don't think this offer is the least bit outlandish. I'm certain there are people out there who will respond to the offer.

The DM/Instructor/trip manager, on my last liveaboard experience, was model beautiful (also very good personality). She told of her previous working environments which included bunking in with male crew. My understanding was that might not be as uncommon as one would have thought.

Be that as it may, now that the OP has been schooled/scolded, we can get off his back?

can we get off his back?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

what Chilly said...

Most of the wrong conclusions posted in this thread have been removed.

Back
Top Bottom