Diver/Hull Cleaner wanted in Sarasota, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonofpeleus

Registered
Reaction score
Hull maintenance company is looking to hire a certified diver for in water hull cleaning. We would prefer someone who has experience with this kind of work but it is not necessary. It is preferable that you have some experience working with or around boats. Your job is to remove barnacles, algae, ect. from boat hulls in the water. You must have your own reliable transportation as you will be required to drive to the location of each boat. Our accounts range from Bradenton to Venice the majority being in Sarasota. You must provide your own dive equipment and tools (scrub brushes, scrapers etc.) This is a contractor position so you will be paid by the job. The number of boats you do as well as the size/type of boat affects how much you make. A full time diver (about 20-30 boats per week) can expect to make about $600 to $800 per week working Monday-Friday. You may work weekends but it is not required. The hours are flexible as long as you are getting your boats done in a timely manner. Full and part time positions available. If you don't have any experience you will most likely start off part time and work into full time. Please respond to this post by email to infantryman85@yahoo.com with a resume as well as some info about yourself and why you think this job is for you. You will be required to sign a no compete clause before starting work. This is a good position for a motivated individual.

Before you apply please review the requirements:

Open water certification.
Be self motivated, and in good physical condition.
Have reliable transportation.
Possess dive equipment (Hookah line or plastic harness, tanks, mask, snorkel, fins, and wetsuit.)
Reside in Sarasota or at least Bradenton or Venice (Commuting long distances will not work.)
Be willing to sign a no compete clause.

What are the details of the "no compete clause"?

That no compete clause would never stand up. Most don't.

That's like hiring a truck driver and then stating you must sign a no compete clause.

Submit a resume for a job paying 600 a week before taxes supplying my own gear? Seriously?

Or better yet - that is $800 / 30 boats = $26 a boat before taxes and wear and tear on your equipment. :D
Never mind the travel cost and expenses that go with it.

How much is air down there?

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of arrangement is typical in the hull cleaning biz (with maybe the exception of a "no-compete" agreement.) Most dive services hire independant contrators who (according to the IRS) must provide their own equipment, tools, transportation etc. Recreational scuba gear is not the preferred kit for in-water hull cleaning. While I don't make my guys sign a no-compete clause, in places where competition is particularly fierce, I can see why the OP would want one. It's real easy for your diver to pick up side jobs or snipe customers. Jobs that he wouldn't have got had he not already been on the docks, working for you (which is why I pay cash bonuses for bringing new customers in.) That said, one of the IRS rules for independant contractors is that the contractor must be advertising his services to others. Abiding by a no-compete clause would mean the diver could not provide his services to others, thereby putting the employing dive service in violation of IRS rules.

Hull cleaning is not for everyone but the pay isn't bad. My top diver pulls typically pulls down $750/week, and his week is three days long. On an hourly basis, that's over $40/hour. Plus he sets his own hours and days. It's not a bad gig. I only wish a I had a couple more like him.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom