Early scuba training push ups on the beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shurite7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking for some pictures of training in the early years; specifically showing students doing push ups on the beach while wearing their gear. I saw a picture, years ago, I believe in a Skin Diver magazine, of a group of students doing Calisthenics on the beach.

If you know where I can find the picture please let me know, or post it on this thread.

Thanks

To answer your question, a quick Google search found this:

pushup_divers.jpg

I've got some photos of the U.S. Navy School for Underwater Swimmers, but was unable to take photos of the pushups, as I was doing them with twin 90s at the time. We also did flutter kicks on our backs while wearing our twin 90s, with a face mask full of water. But again, I couldn't get photos of that at the time.

SeaRat

Hawkwood,
Hm, my Google search was not as lucrative. I tried key words such as 'push ups', 'scuba', and 'early years of scuba training', but i did not find any pictures like the one you posted. Thanks.

The pic is for DM candidates. Many divers today don't realize what the early years of training was like.

I got lucky I guess. I don't remember the search string, but it came up on the first pass.

Ahhhh.....
The good old days.
Swimming hundreds of laps in the pool in full gear.
Diving down 17' in the pool to don gear, without a mask, with -8.0 eyes.
Horse Collar "B.C.'s" (yeah, they sucked).
Voit Viking fins.
J-Valves.
Chafing.
Instructors knocking your mask off and ripping your reg from your mouth quiet unexpectedly.

Yup......
Those were the good old days.
not.

Chug
Knows how bad it used to suck.

Sureite7
I will repeat my question why do you want/need the picture?

FYI it was snapped at an early NAUI course for publicity and not as a course requirement or exercise.

SDM
FYI NAUI Instructor #27- What is your NAUI instructor Number?????????

Sam,

My answer is an above thread. Some DM candidates and rescue students gripe about some of the skills being to difficult- primarily because they are out of shape.

I have seen other pictures of students on the beach doing push ups. That is the one I would prefer. I just don't remember which periodical or book that I saw it in.

When was the above picture taken and where?

It was photographed at one of the very early NAUI courses when Al Tillman was the president of NAUI and appeared in a early possibly 1962 -1963 edition of Skin Diver Magazine in the "Instructors corner".

Al, NAUI #1, was also a founder of LA Co UW instructor's association, therefore LA Co #2 or perhaps #1. He wrestled professionally while in college and after receiving his doctorate in Physical education was a professor of physical education at a Los Angles college. Therefore a proponent of physical conditioning.

As we often said there was never a fat LA Co UW instructor, which held true for a while with NAUI.

Now so many are so grossly out of shape (and post to this board regularly with great authority)

SDM

By the way I received a Christmas card from Harry Vetter, NAUI Instructor #2...The oldest living NAUI instructor. He is the only living member with single digit number and only a handful with double digit numbers remain.

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom