Tank size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOXA

Registered
Reaction score
I usually dive with a SS 12 litres. Next month I need some more air, so i think I'm going to use a SS 15 litres. (I know double 12's are preferred, but I don't have the equipement yet.) Do I need more, the same or less weight with this bigger tank?

D.

D.,,, what does SS stand for (steel-stainless steel-???)

The best way to handle your wt. question is to do a simple in water wt. test and go from there.

DOXA:
I usually dive with a SS 12 litres. Next month I need some more air, so i think I'm going to use a SS 15 litres. (I know double 12's are preferred, but I don't have the equipement yet.) Do I need more, the same or less weight with this bigger tank?

D.

There's nothing wrong with a 15 litre tank. You'll probably be able to drop 2kg.

R..

texdiveguy:
D.,,, what does SS stand for (steel-stainless steel-???)

The best way to handle your wt. question is to do a simple in water wt. test and go from there.

SS = Stainless Steel.

And you are right, except in this case I don't get the tank before the boattrip, so I looking for an indication what to do with my weight.

Diver0001:
There's nothing wrong with a 15 litre tank. You'll probably be able to drop 2kg.

R..

Thnx, this is the answer I'm looking for!

D.

It depends on the cylinders I'm afraid.

Who makes your twelve, and who makes the 15 you are getting?

Eurocylinders tend to be heavier than Fabers for a given size.

Here are some numbers as a guide (UK standard cylinders - weights do not include valves, buoyancy in saltwater)

Size Weight Buoyancy (Full) Buoyancy (Empty)

Faber 12 13kg -2kg 1.3kg
Faber 12 (dumpy) 13.8kg -2.7kg 0.6kg
Faber 15 16.4kg -2.9kg 1.2kg

ECS 12 13kg -2.1kg 1.1kg
ECS 12 (dumpy) 15kg -3.9kg -0.6kg
ECS 15 18.8kg -5kg -0.8kg

(Buoyancy characteristics from UK Scuba)

Edit: I can't get the table to lay out properly, sorry)

Dom

Does anyone have the weights of the e series tanks from pst. I am really looking for the full weights. If anyone can help me, i would appreciate it.

jtrain01:
Does anyone have the weights of the e series tanks from pst. I am really looking for the full weights. If anyone can help me, i would appreciate it.

The worthingtons are (apparently) identical:

xschart.jpg

(full weights are available at the cost of doing some math :wink: )

Peter

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom