New Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a new Halcyon backplate and wing and I tried it out yesterday. In the past, I've been told that BP/wings are not good at the surface. This doesn't seem to be the case. This thing worked just as good at the surface as a jacket BC.

Yup. They work great. I started out with a Back inflate BC so switching to a BP/W configuration was very similar feeling on the surface and under for me. Just a little less weight around my waist. :wink:

dlent:
I got a new Halcyon backplate and wing and I tried it out yesterday. In the past, I've been told that BP/wings are not good at the surface. This doesn't seem to be the case. This thing worked just as good at the surface as a jacket BC.

If you are properly weighted, and using a crotch strap, a BP&W can't force you forward at the surface, as you will need only a few puffs of air in the wing to get your chin out of the water. This air will be only in the top of the wing, behind your neck and shoulders.

If on the other hand the diver is overweighted, and lacks a crotch strap he will tend to inflate the wing all the way down to the bottom of the tank. Now the added gas will raise the rig, but not the diver because there is no crotch strap. Having the rig over the divers head is not confidence inspiring.

Sounds like you have a nice new rig, and have it properly setup, enjoy!

Tobin

Tobin

Congratulation on your new toys
Halcyon are great BPW, you will love it

alan_lee:
I'm migrating from back-inflate to BP/W soon, would like to find out if there's any difference at the surface.
See if you can try one out, and decide for yourself. I prefer my backplate to my old back inflate, even at the surface.

I just went to the BP/W set-up from the back inflate also and I love it so far. Needs a little more tweaking, but much more streamlined and less cumbersome that other previous set-ups I've had. During my last two dives(Dry Suit Specialty course), I spent a whole lotta time bobbing around on the surface waiting for a few classmates that had technical difficulties with their gear. I found that the wing kept me easily above water and actually tended to flip me on my back slightly if I tried to do the 'dead man's float thing'(I was getting impatient and bored!).

All around a comfortable rig(Oxycheq Sig Series 30#, Hammerhead BP/STA w/ hog harness) that kept my head out of the water w/o a struggle for a long(too long) a period of time. Thanks again Matt.

LobstaMan

alan_lee:
I'm migrating from back-inflate to BP/W soon, would like to find out if there's any difference at the surface.
Best way is to try it out yourself. Failing that, I have yet to see anyone who has actually used one say that they push you forward to any degree you can't conpensate for by simply leaning back a bit.

"They push you forward into the water."
"Have you ever used one?"
"No, but that's what <local expert> heard from his 2nd cousin's wife's friend."

I went from vest to back inflate to BP/W... Not having stuff sliding around on you is a great feeling! Underwater or bobbing on the surface there is no contest. I must say the vest was the best for long snorkels on shore dives (snorkel was higher in the water), but there's no way I'd go back! Underwater it's like night and day... you put on your rig and it fits perfectly, every time and pushes you toward good trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom