What's up with the crotch strap width??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm changing out my rig now to a bp/w + long hose. I don't know if I'm going totally Hog or what. Basically I'm getting rid of all the bulk and stuff that I dont' need and hate, distributing my weight more and moving to a long hose/bungeed octo cause it just makes a lot of sense to me. Won't go tech for a year or so.

My question is what's up with the crotch strap width? I've seen references where Hog crotch strap is 1" and DIR is 2". Why the difference? Does it really matter? I understand having gear in the same place, config, etc. as your buddies, but crotch strap width? That sounds to me like taking it 1" too far :D

-Garrett

I can't see why DIR would insist on 2", it seems that would be one of those "personal preference" items. Unless there's a reason you MUST have a 2" D-ring for the scooter. I don't use a scooter but that's the only thing I can think of.

Wouldn't a 1-inch strap feel like flossing your arse?? :D

Yes......it was a bit uncomfortable on the twig and berries especialy with a thinner wetsuit. 2" is better for me.

shark.byte.usa:
I'm changing out my rig now to a bp/w + long hose. I don't know if I'm going totally Hog or what. Basically I'm getting rid of all the bulk and stuff that I dont' need and hate, distributing my weight more and moving to a long hose/bungeed octo cause it just makes a lot of sense to me. Won't go tech for a year or so.

My question is what's up with the crotch strap width? I've seen references where Hog crotch strap is 1" and DIR is 2". Why the difference? Does it really matter? I understand having gear in the same place, config, etc. as your buddies, but crotch strap width? That sounds to me like taking it 1" too far :D

-Garrett

For some reason, some plates are only set up for a 1" strap.

I use a 2". Most of us Kool Aid types do.

Soft webbing, thank you very much.

My 2" is fine with trunks in Belize, a 2mm in FL, a 7mm lobstering or my DS the rest of the time. I mean, its not like its a seat belt - all tightened down and all. It just keeps the rig from flying off.

---
Ken

i have mine set pretty lose and it doesn't seem to do my anything. I honestly am not sure why it is even there... i am thinking about just sending it to the bottom of my dive bag.

maybe somebody could clue me in to why i REALLy need this thing. Is it maybe because i keep my waist belt to tight to compensate for not having my crotch strap tight?

1 inch feels liks a thong. It used to be stuck in the butt cleavage, so I prefer 2 inch...

hoosier:
1 inch feels liks a thong. It used to be stuck in the butt cleavage, so I prefer 2 inch...

Thanks sooooo much for that image! :11:

There is a debate whether 1" reduces rubbing in the crotch area that 2" causes on a drysuit,that eventually leads to leakage,and some evidence points to it doing a better job. I like the 2" webbing so I can have my doody ring,but I've used a 1" webbing and found it worked just as well. Since this isn't a load bearing area (thank goodness) 1" webbing does an adequate job for its intent.

Codyjp:
i have mine set pretty lose and it doesn't seem to do my anything. I honestly am not sure why it is even there... i am thinking about just sending it to the bottom of my dive bag.

maybe somebody could clue me in to why i REALLy need this thing. Is it maybe because i keep my waist belt to tight to compensate for not having my crotch strap tight?

Its there to keep your rig from riding up at the surface, and as a place to clip off a reel or other item.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom