SPG or Console with everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I own a computer and before i bought that, i owned a console with compass, depth gauge and spg. its kinda bulky and uncool looking. should i sell that and get a brass spg and another compass or should i stay with what i have. cost doesnt really matter to me that much. what would you do?

Send whatever you don't want to me. :)

If you don't have technical or DIR aspirations this it a personal preference thing.

Here on SB you will get many suggestions to wrist mount your computer and compass and run a solitatry SPG. I have a 3 bay inline console that includes my computer and it works great for me. I have it on a short bungee of my left soulder D ring and it's always handy to see anything at a galnce. My wrists are also clear to reach wherever and I have fewer do-dads to fuss with when gearing up, let alone forgetting something.

For navigation I find it much more natural and streamlined that the cross arm wrist mount posture. My left hand holds it with my elbow tucked to my side. The entire console in effect is the lubberline.

I also run a Timex Helix as a back-up depth/time/temp instrument.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. YMMV

Pete

I have used a compass both on my wrist and on a small rubber console. I mount the wrist type compass around my dual slot ancient ScubaPro rubber console. During actual use whether on wrist or console I find navigation more accurate if I pick out (underwater) landmarks to swim to--straight lines--this does require at least some visibility but helps keep a straight line in current. In current if you strictly reference the compass you will swing down current even if you hold your heading. I don't think they teach this anymore because I watch divers navigate strictly by compass and go well off from the intended target. N

Since this is in the Hogarthian section, the answer from that perspective would be wrist mounted gauges and a single SPG.

http://www.nsscds.com/hogarth.htm

About three quarters of the way down the page:

"Gauges are necessary pieces of equipment but people often succumb to the more is better philosophy. Two timing devices should be more than sufficient for any body's needs. The gauges should be wrist mounted so as to avoid bulky consoles and the resulting dredging effect they create. One's pressure gauge should be free from a bulky console and mounted in a clean area. A pressure gauge that is clipped to one's belt keeps the chest free from clutter and limits the items you will potentially drag in the mud. The advent of hoseless gauges promises to solve all these problems yet like most cure-alls I remain patiently optimistic but as yet remain unwilling to bestow all my air management faith in their reliability."

dsteding:
Since this is in the Hogarthian section, the answer from that perspective would be wrist mounted gauges and a single SPG.

fair point...

Nemrod -- along the same lines, which compass led you here from the Doing it Sea Hunt forum:D

dsteding:

Good point, I was in a "new Post" listing and the querry didn't tip me off. Then again the OPs Hogarthian intent is not apparent.

as noted, hogarthian means "less is better"

take what you need and leave the rest. i've found that an SPG, a wrist computer , and a backup watch (with chronometer) is all i need, and it eliminates the bulky console.

Well, because in some ways I probably am more Hog than you may imagine and Hog is not DIR as is well known. Much of my diving falls very close to Hog and many of the concepts that I now understand as Hog were not invented by you guys but by us (vintage) guys :wink:.

Further, as a once professional geologist with MS Plus, I may know a bit more about compasses than many since I have spent months on the outcrop mapping with little more than Brunton and alidade and plan table including some underwater mapping as a professional geologist in the Bahamas. What I would have done for a GPS back then on the outcrop, to bad it did not exist.

A compass worn on the wrist is generally easier to use in my opinion for underwater navigation but since the gentleman asked about it's use on a console and factually I often keep it there when it is being used casually I felt his question fell within my realm. Moreover, the compass I keep on my console is a wrist mount on strap, I just strap it to the small console thus allowing me to quickly change it to my wrist. It also stores that way well keeping everything together so no matter how it is deployed at least it is not forgotten. These huge consoles they have around today are not attractive at all to me and especially with those fire hose long HP hoses dragging the thing along like a Danforth.

H2Andy brings up a good point concerning his arrangement but I notice he mentions also a computer. Now, are computers not DIR acceptable but are they Hog acceptable, wrist or console? I was given one of those gigantoid foot long two sides consoles that are so in vogue today except it has no computer but it does have a slot for one--now--that is bulky--the tiny console I use--when I use it--clips on a 24 inch hose to my LH waist D ring and is not bulky. Truthfully, wrist mounting of everything but SPG ( of course) is my favorite and the more technical my dive the more I favor it that way. Nothing like my wrist ScubaPro 0-500 foot mechanical helium guage to make you techies eyes bug out on stems :).

edited for typos and character

N

Nemrod:
Well, because in some ways I probably am more Hog than you may imagine and Hog is not DIR as is well known. Much of my diving falls very close to Hog and many of the concepts that I now understand as Hog were not invented by you guys but by us (vintage) guys.

N

Hey Nem, I was just kidding. I hope I didn't offend you and apologize if I did. My diving heritage, if not my current kit, dates back to the Sea Hunt era as well so i'd be the last person to knock vintage diving or divers.

Have a happy New Year...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom