how much lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tolowski

Registered
Reaction score
I have purchased faber 108 twins what size wing would be used? Thank you in advance for any information.

tolowski:
I have purchased faber 108 twins what size wing would be used? Thank you in advance for any information.

The volume, and there weight of the gas carried is only part of the equation. Your exposure suit is a key element.

Wings need to be able to compensate for the change in buoyancy of your exposure suit. How buoyant is your heaviest exposure suit?

Tobin

I have the same tanks and I use a Halycon explorer with 55 lbs of lift. I wear a DUI drysuit with 100 g and 400 g undergarment.

I have never had an issue.

thanks

L:

Yes, this also includes stages.... as Meng_Tze indicates below.

I have 108's and full with stages and all gear, a 55# is good. I do wear a TLS350 with sweater and thin under suit (cheap knock off)

I have a scubapro 7mil and a dui clx 450 dry. i am looking at a poseidon beasea w 50 with bp. any thoughts?
I've not yet tried the drysuit, I'll be going to the pool soon. thanks

tolowski:
I have a scubapro 7mil and a dui clx 450 dry. i am looking at a poseidon beasea w 50 with bp. any thoughts?
I've not yet tried the drysuit, I'll be going to the pool soon. thanks

Forget using the wetsuit with the 108's. Between the weight of the gas (let's assume you're not using helium, for the moment) and the effect of wetsuit compression at depth, you could be 35 lbs negative (unditchable) at depth at the beginning of the dive. Sustain a BC failure at that point and you're using a lift bag, mountaineering up the anchor line, crawling out on hands and knees-if there's a hard bottom-or waiting until you use most of your gas such that you can swim up. Best use the drysuit only with the 108's. In that case, a 55 lbs wing is ample, provided you're properly weighted to start with.

Nice to see someone using the Faber 108. Now what are the views on using a single 108, with a steel (Halcyon) BP, 30lb eclipse wing and a 3mm wetsuit? I've used this combo before and was on spot with bouyancy and can swim to the surface with no air in the bladder, yet I hear others not approving this config. Any opinons?

laughingsquid:
Nice to see someone using the Faber 108. Now what are the views on using a single 108, with a steel (Halcyon) BP, 30lb eclipse wing and a 3mm wetsuit? I've used this combo before and was on spot with bouyancy and can swim to the surface with no air in the bladder, yet I hear others not approving this config. Any opinons?

The faber 108 (OMS112) is a lightweight steel tank, -1 empty, -9 full.

With little compressible exposure suit you need to be negative by at least part of the gas at the start of the dive, say -7lbs.

Your plate is -6, regs are -2 and your tank is -1. That's -9 at the end of the dive and -17 at the start. If your 3 mm is less than 10 lbs buoyant you are carrying more weight than you need, but if you can swim it up with a near full tank and no gas in the bag you are not dangerously overweighted.

If your 3mm is + 10 lbs then you are spot on. I haven't seen a 3 mm that's +10lbs, 4-6 is more typical.

Tobin

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom