Checking SPG with slung bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Assuming your main tank SPG is clipped to your left hip D-ring and if you sling a bottle (pony bottle in my case) which is clipped off to the same D-ring how do you unclip and check your SPG without the bottle getting in the way?

you mean the left hip d-ring?
the way I do it, not sure if it's the best way or not but I clip the d-ring for the slung bottle in front of the clip for the spg. Asuming you have the correct hose length, the spg should run right from left post down along your side to your d-ring. keeping it behind the bottle's snap ring keeps it untangled. to read it just reach between your slung bottle and your body, unlcip and bring it up between your left side and the bottle. to reclip it do the opposite. put it back down between you and the bottle, and clip it off behind the slung bottle d-ring.

Kangy:
you mean the left hip d-ring?
the way I do it, not sure if it's the best way or not but I clip the d-ring for the slung bottle in front of the clip for the spg. Asuming you have the correct hose length, the spg should run right from left post down along your side to your d-ring. keeping it behind the bottle's snap ring keeps it untangled. to read it just reach between your slung bottle and your body, unlcip and bring it up between your left side and the bottle. to reclip it do the opposite. put it back down between you and the bottle, and clip it off behind the slung bottle d-ring.

Yes, I meant left hip D-ring. That's the way I did it (just tried it out tonight for the first time). It seemed a little awkward in that my elbow is stopped by the bottle and I have to push it out of the way each time. I'll have to practice the technique it seems for it to be a little smoother.

It is a little awkward at first getting used to it. I'm sure someone out there might have an easier way. What also kind of helps is that if you are having trouble with your elbow hitting the bottle try reaching around it. and bringing the spg behind and over the bottle instead of up through it. Not sure if I described that right.

to avoid excessive bottle pushery reach back toward the rear of the sling bottle and run your hand forward between the end of the sling bottle and your side. Unclip, bring SPG straight up (so the hose runs under your left arm) to the point where you can glance down to see it, drop your arm and reclip, then extract your arm back out toward the rear of the bottle again - the reverse of the way you went for the gauge. You never need to touch the bottle itself.

It gets to be a mindless act requiring only a few seconds.

It takes a dive or two to get used to, after that you perform it without actually thinking about it.

(If you want to try something for giggles, take your SAC/RMV and calculate what your remaining gas should be at intervals - say "5, 10, 15, 20..." minutes into the dive. Write it on a piece of duct tape or your wetnotes or something. Over the next couple dives when you check your spg write down your actual consumption/remaining gas versus your estimated remaining gas for each time hack. Track it in your wetnotes or on a slate until you have a matrix covering 5 or 6 dives. Over like 5 dives you'll get to a point where you can glance at your bottom timer and know basically how much gas you have remaining without even looking at your SPG. You could check it, sure, but it basically confirms what you already know. If you only check it 2 or 3 times during your dives, it is that much less of a PITA! FWIW...YMMV...)

gcbryan:
Assuming your main tank SPG is clipped to your left hip D-ring and if you sling a bottle (pony bottle in my case) which is clipped off to the same D-ring how do you unclip and check your SPG without the bottle getting in the way?

If you rig your deco bottle right (Hog?) with the little leash (see pic), and clip the SPG above (or behind) the bottle clip on the hip, then un/clipping it and viewing it should be no problem - just push the bottle out of the way, which the leash allows you to do, as you go for the SPG.

deco40_70mix_r.jpeg

The problem arises when you use deco bottles without the leash like these:

safeair.jpg

gcbryan:

It gets in the way a little. You unclip it, and do a windmill motion with your arm (backwards) to bring it out.

Always put the SPG on the bottom since an aluminum slung tank will begin to float after only a little gas is used. It keeps things from getting all tangled.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I'm basically doing it correctly anyway and just need to do it a few more times. I don't check it that often anyway, most just to confirm there isn't a leak I don't know about.

One other question comes up...do you leave the left D-ring right at the hip or do you move it back somewhat so that when on land (walking) the bottle is at an angle tucking under the arm somewhat or do you leave the D-ring at the hip and let the bottle hang vertically?

I dont' walk with my bottle clipped off to my rig while on land.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom