Any suggestions for shoulder slack QR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim_pacnwdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Could I get some advice on a deviation from standard HOG rigging for a BP?

I have some impingement of the left shoulder and getting out of a standard sized and rigged harness can be painful (I’m long bodied about 60” around the shoulders). I’ve ordered a longer wider plate and think that I will be weaving a release into the left shoulder strap.
I plan on leaving the strap uncut so that the release just gives 6” extra when released like discussed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=144016

The picture is how I think it would be rigged with the top held tight with a keeper. The bottom I’m not sure of till I get the plate. DSS plates have an insert that keep the strap from slipping so I’m not sure how I want the keeper (I think I would have it at the lowest point close to the plate).

Any advice or critique is welcome but I know I’m introducing a “failure point” I’m just trying to minimize the risk of doing so by weaving it into the continuous webbing.

Thanks

Attachments

• smSizedSide.jpg
    smSizedSide.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 103
When I first went to a BP I thought I needed a rig like that. The QR buckles worked fine but I soon found myself not using them. For me, it was just a matter or technique. I reach back with my right hand and grab the bottom of the tank. Lifting it and rotating it to the right puts enough slack in my left strap that it falls off my shoulder. With my left arm free and my right hand still holding the bottom of the tank, I reach over and grab the right strap with my left hand, lean forward bringing my right hand with the tank in front of me and set it down. The strap will sometimes bruise my right arm a bit as it slides down but no problem.

Shoulder impingement problems can be painful,and provided you don't have an unusually shaped acromion,this can get better. I think you are headed in the right direction with using a quick release. Quick releases have been given a bad reputation as a "failure point" but even one of the biggest critics (G3) could never give an incidence of one ever failing-I think this is a nonproblem scenario. A quick release is Hogarthian,just not DIR;if the quick release is needed for dive safety ie gear removal then it is considered an acceptable piece of equipment as part of minimalism. Awap brings up a good point,if you find you don't need it later then your only cost is webbing.

Doesn't seam like it's even going to cost webbing if the way he does it doesn't require cutting the webbing.

Thanks for the replies, it may turn out that the longer plate will allow me to get out of the harness without pain even without the QR but I'll probably try it for awhile since I'm not cutting the webbing all I have to do is pull out the QR.
The unlikelyhood of breaking and only having a loose strap if it does seems like a reasonable risk for now.

Tim_pacnwdiver:
Could I get some advice on a deviation from standard HOG rigging for a BP?

I have some impingement of the left shoulder and getting out of a standard sized and rigged harness can be painful (I’m long bodied about 60” around the shoulders). I’ve ordered a longer wider plate and think that I will be weaving a release into the left shoulder strap.
I plan on leaving the strap uncut so that the release just gives 6” extra when released like discussed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=144016

The picture is how I think it would be rigged with the top held tight with a keeper. The bottom I’m not sure of till I get the plate. DSS plates have an insert that keep the strap from slipping so I’m not sure how I want the keeper (I think I would have it at the lowest point close to the plate).

Any advice or critique is welcome but I know I’m introducing a “failure point” I’m just trying to minimize the risk of doing so by weaving it into the continuous webbing.

Thanks

It looks very neat in the picture. Where do you buy those QR clips? But it might get in the way of a backup light if you want to clip one there.

I saw various QR ideas mentioned in this thread too (registration required): http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22913

I got it here:
http://www.plastic-buckle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=257

I actually bought one of each variety of 2" QR they had to compare and settled on that one because of the teeth where the webbing weaves through and it clips together smoother that the square ones.

I'll have to see if the slack loop gets in the way. My SPG is the only thing near there at the moment.

thanks again for the replies.

Edit#1: Great link to Deco Stop thread!

I used a standard stainless weight belt buckle, but added a large o-ring that keeps it from accidentally getting flipped open. My heaviest load is double al80's and it has no problem with it. It's up close to the body down low just above the left hip

qr_strap.jpg

This is what I ended up with to try for a while.
The longer plate helped without the QR too.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 67
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 57
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom