Need Help With Pre-Madonna BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Halcyon single tank BC. My first one had to be exchanged because the inflator leaked and made a hissing sound when the bladder was full. The current one was working well until I took it ice diving. On one of the dives I noticed a hiss coming from the inflator near the surface. During a later dive, the inflator decided to start free-flowing and it was causing a lot of air to be released through the back dump. The inflator in question is the Halcyon plastic one. Where can I get a high quality inflator that doesn't free-flow or hiss during ice diving? I'd prefer one where I can replace the o-ring myself. The plastic Halcyon one isn't maintainable by the user.

Also, why is it that the inflator won't dump unless you roll on your right side or angle up in the water? The back dump won't dump unless I angle down in the water. You are supposed to maintain a horizontal position when you're diving. This BC won't dump unless you're on an angle.

inflators are pretty generic. go to your LDS. or DiveRiteExpress.

Maybe the valve is going bad - that can be fixed without replacing the inflator.

You were ice diving - was something freezing up?

dlent:
Also, why is it that the inflator won't dump unless you roll on your right side or angle up in the water? The back dump won't dump unless I angle down in the water. You are supposed to maintain a horizontal position when you're diving. This BC won't dump unless you're on an angle.

Without getting into the physics of it. Air will seek the highest point while in the water and you need the dump to be that point.:wink:

I guess I'm just used to the pull dump on my old BC, that dumped whenever you pull on the corrugated hose.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom