Plate info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoJu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone.
I am looking to get another backplate and I have found one which i think I may like, but have not found any user feedback on it.
It is the backplate from the poseidon Besea.
http://www.poseidon.se/equip_show_det_small.asp?Prod_ID=000-45&LangID=4
I am diving the zeagle backplate right now, and it feels a little small.
One of my buddies has let me try a Custom divers plate and I love it. This looks like it may offer the same feel as the bends look similar. I am interested in it's weight as well, almost 8 lbs compared to my 6 lb Zeagle.
If anyone has feedback on the quality or functionality of this plate please let me know.

If you're looking for a heavy SS plate, contact FredT on this site. He makes some awesome plates, and they come in three different lengths so you can get the right size for you. I ordered a 3/16" SS plate that weighs 9 lbs, along with a 5 lb STA, and I love them. He makes some really nice harness hardware also.

I prefer OMS plates for the simple reason they were the first to clean up the edges where plates are machined. This really helps out with the life of your harness. I have both steel and alumium. Which one to choose for a perticular dive is a whole nother discussion. That weighting thing.

hi

i have a couple of the Poseidon Backplates but mine are reinforcing my Poseidon Besea's. I got them primarily because their weight means there's less weight i'm carrying on my waist.

Having said that, i dont believe they would be entirely suitable for use as a backplate/wing combo because they have a very different profile to a traditional backplate. Basically if you look at the plate from the top, it has a very flat profile which is fine (similar to the "flatter" profile of DSS plates) but the channel that runs through the centre of backplates is not so prominent in POseidon. INfact that channel runs INTO your back rather than away from it. This essentially means that if you want to use doubles then the wing nut is basically going to dig into your back because the flat profile of the plate, plus a very shallow centre channel means that the wingnut is NOT going to be recessed away from your back/wetsuit/drysuit.

i've attached some pics that might give you a better idea. The pics were taken looking at the plate directly from the top. The top half of the pics is the tankside and the bottom half of the pic is the part that your back goes against. The pics, as they are, show the plate bolted to my Besea, but it gives you a good indication of how things would sit if you were using the plate on its own with a hog harness.

I hope this helps - let me know if you hv any other questions regarding the Poseidon plate.

cheers
Jeelan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom