Hog Harness - Shoulder straps.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm about a week away or so from purchasing my first BP/W setup. I want to go with a Hog Harness, but I'm rather worried that it may not work for me.

Here is the deal. I only have one-arm. My left arm was amputated about 4 inches below the left shoulder (4 inches of arm(nub) left). My left shoulder has "drawn" up higher than my right shoulder for lack of weight (my arm) pulling it down. So looking directly at me, my left shoulder is higher than my right. My worry is that without a chest strap connecting my two shoulder straps together, is there a chance that it might slip off the left shoulder? I can stick my "nub" out and it would stop it, but if under a task load would I be able to keep it on?

I know I need to try one one, but no one around here sells and BP/W configs. So, does anyone know of anyone that utilizes the Hog harness that only has one-arm? Left or right?

Thank you for any suggestions, comments, or input.

Michael

Thats realy awesome that you're a diver. I dive the standard hog harness and it is always been tight enough that it doesn't slide around at all. My suggestion would be to go ahead and rig it and get in the pool with it. If it slides off any it would be really easy to sew on a small piece of like 1 inch webbing with a quick release buckle in the center for a chest strap. Hope it works out for you the bp/w is a great rig

jsmith89:
If it slides off any it would be really easy to sew on a small piece of like 1 inch webbing with a quick release buckle in the center for a chest strap. Hope it works out for you the bp/w is a great rig

If you go that route many cobblers will do a top notch job on the stitching.

Pete

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but you can also adjust the lengths of the left and right straps individually. Using a crotch strap might also help keep it in place.

Not sure of the diving you are doing or how important the hog harness is to you, but the Dive Rite Deluxe and Transplate harnessness come with a chest strap. If you get a chance to dive a hog harness and find you need the chest strap this could be a way to go. Neither is a continuous thread harness, but you can get the deluxe without a quick release if you are worried about the possible failure point.

You can cross the straps behind your neck, and that will keep them further in on your shoulders and essentially get rid of any tendency to fall off. That's the way I rig mine, because my shoulders are so narrow. And you can adjust the lengths of the straps individually so that the backplate sits vertically on your back. I don't think it will be a problem.

I agree with TS&M crossing behind your neck will hold itself on...I have one rig that is straight down and not crossed it stays on fine but I find that the crossed rigs I use are actually better to get out of.

Not sure where you are in Mississippi, but you are welcome to borrow one of mine if you want to try before you buy.

I really don't think you'd have any problem with a hog harness other than learning how to get out of it. Honestly, if you have it adjusted properly there should be no way that a shoulder strap could accidentally slip over your deltoid.

I say go for it!!!

I agree with the posts above. Try crossing the straps and use a quick release across your chest. A hog rig might even work better for you due to the lack of padding on the straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom