New in BP business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidB

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am the new guy in town and therefore I am kindly asking not to laugh at me:D

I am planning to purchase a BP very soon, so far i was thinking about OMS BP or Zeagle BP, but could not find very much written here on it.
Can you please let me know what are you guys thinking about it? and what do you advise?

Secondly, I would like to know what is better and what should I purchase SS or AL?

thanks

I would recommend that you talk to Tobin here on SB. Or visit his site: http://www.deepseasupply.com.

I talked with him about the setup I wanted or what I was looking for. He explained to me in detail the pro and cons of different configs. Talking about customer support and service. That means a lot to me and with everything we talked about, I feel confident that he is helping me get the best for the money. I was even going to go with a more expensive wing, thinking it'd be "better", but he explained the differences and made me realize that the one I looked at wouldn't be much better than the one he highly recommended.

I'll be a returning customer for sure.

Michael

mwhities:
I would recommend that you talk to Tobin here on SB. Or visit his site: http://www.deepseasupply.com.

I talked with him about the setup I wanted or what I was looking for. He explained to me in detail the pro and cons of different configs. Talking about customer support and service. That means a lot to me and with everything we talked about, I feel confident that he is helping me get the best for the money. I was even going to go with a more expensive wing, thinking it'd be "better", but he explained the differences and made me realize that the one I looked at wouldn't be much better than the one he highly recommended.

I'll be a returning customer for sure.

Michael

Michael thank you. what did you purchase by the end?

I haven't purchased per say completely yet. I'm getting a LCD 30# Wing, the long pattern (I'm 6' 6") SS back plate, and the Hog Harness. I'm sure my other purchases will be through Tobin at DSS.

I just received a PM from him today saying my wing will be ready Monday. So I might have my rig before next weekend!

Michael

David, making a decision as to what to buy depends a great deal on what kind of diving you are doing. I assume, as you list Israel as your location, that you are primarily diving warm water with minimal exposure protection, and very little weight? If that's the case, an aluminum or Kydex backplate would probably fill your needs. Those of us who dive cold water with drysuits and a great deal of weight appreciate a stainless steel BP, or even one like Tobin's with weight plates attached to it, to get weight off the belt and up on our shoulders.

The majority of people are suited well enough by a standard backplate, but the very small and the very large can be better fit with special sizes. If you post your dimensions (height, weight), my guess is that several people will be able to give you good information as to whether you fall in the standard range, or require something special.

I would also recommend you look into DSS equipment. Tobin is EXTREMELY helpful and careful with his customers, to make sure what they get the first time is what they want and will be happy using.

Greetings David

I dive a Zeagle AL backplate and love it. I use it for singles and doubles. It's the only backplate I have used so I have nothing to compare it too.

I always dive steel tanks so weighting/trim with the AL bp hasn't been a problem for me.

I would try to dive a variety of BP/Wings if you have the opportunity before making a purchase

Cheers

Steve

TSandM:
David, making a decision as to what to buy depends a great deal on what kind of diving you are doing. I assume, as you list Israel as your location, that you are primarily diving warm water with minimal exposure protection, and very little weight? If that's the case, an aluminum or Kydex backplate would probably fill your needs. Those of us who dive cold water with drysuits and a great deal of weight appreciate a stainless steel BP, or even one like Tobin's with weight plates attached to it, to get weight off the belt and up on our shoulders.

The majority of people are suited well enough by a standard backplate, but the very small and the very large can be better fit with special sizes. If you post your dimensions (height, weight), my guess is that several people will be able to give you good information as to whether you fall in the standard range, or require something special.

I would also recommend you look into DSS equipment. Tobin is EXTREMELY helpful and careful with his customers, to make sure what they get the first time is what they want and will be happy using.

Hi,
First of all I would like to thank you for this very interresting answer, :D

So, I think that you answered to 1 of my question and an AL BP should be enough for me, although I think that having a SS BP would be better since the weight would be located on my lung instead of my west and by this I am pretty sure that it should improve my buoyancy in the water (although I don't think having problem with it)!

My height is 1m83 which should be 6' & my weight hummmmmmm let say average :wink: for my height!

again thanks for your help,

DavidB:
Hi,
First of all I would like to thank you for this very interresting answer, :D

So, I think that you answered to 1 of my question and an AL BP should be enough for me, although I think that having a SS BP would be better since the weight would be located on my lung instead of my west and by this I am pretty sure that it should improve my buoyancy in the water (although I don't think having problem with it)!

My height is 1m83 which should be 6' & my weight hummmmmmm let say average :wink: for my height!

again thanks for your help,
What kind of BC and exposure protection are you using now? How much weight are you wearing and where do you carry it? Do you dive with steel or aluminum cylinders?
Most traditional BC's are positively buoyant requiring you to carry weight just to offset that buoyancy. This will not be the case with BPW.
You could possibly overweight your self with a steel plate. Even if you are neutral, you may want an Al plate and some ditchable weight.

Splitlip:
What kind of BC and exposure protection are you using now? How much weight are you wearing and where do you carry it? Do you dive with steel or aluminum cylinders?
Most traditional BC's are positively buoyant requiring you to carry weight just to offset that buoyancy. This will not be the case with BPW.
You could possibly overweight your self with a steel plate. Even if you are neutral, you may want an Al plate and some ditchable weight.

Hi,

Today I dive with a 2 pieces 5mm semidry wetsuit, most of my dives till now was with steel tanks but now i am slowly transiting to doubles, as for their buoyancy I am not yet sure what it is! My BC today is a Zeagle 911 with a single blader of 65lbs
In winter with a full wetsuit today I use 12 to 16 pounds of weight with a steel tank that has negative buoyancy full or empty.

Looks like with single tank and heavy wetsuit a steel plate would work.
However, summer suit and or single/double steel tanks, I would say you want aluminum.
If you are only going to have one plate, get the aluminum. You can carry weight on a belt and there are many ways to add more weight to a plate.
The Al plates are less expensive too. I would get Aluminum first and see how you like it.
Most standard BC's have 1 to 4 pounds inherent buoyancy which you must offset by carrying added weight. You won't have to carry that added weight with BPW. Even an Aluminum plate is about 1.5 pounds negative, further eliminating weight you would need to wear.
Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom