1 backup light, right or left d-ring? why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK so I just picked myself up a backup light, I plan to affix it to a bolt snap and have it hung from a chest d-ring with the head secured to my harness as is customary. I don't plan on getting another until it is needed or required...

My question is with only 1, is there a recommendaton on the left or right? and why? or with one is it simply a personal preference?

My thinking intially is...

The Right, because I clip my primary light head on the left when not in use (or should it have a problem) and will have a 30cf bottle slung on the left on some dives, on the right d-ring I currently only keep a spare double-ender, clip off my primary second stage when not in use and clip my camera off when it's with me.

Thanks,
Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
OK so I just picked myself up a backup light, I plan to affix it to a bolt snap and have it hung from a chest d-ring with the head secured to my harness as is customary. I don't plan on getting another until it is needed or required...

My question is with only 1, is there a recommendaton on the left or right? and why? or with one is it simply a personal preference?

My thinking intially is...

The Right, because I clip my primary light head on the left when not in use (or should it have a problem) and will have a 30cf bottle slung on the left on some dives, on the right d-ring I currently only keep a spare double-ender, clip off my primary second stage when not in use and clip my camera off when it's with me.

Thanks,
Garrett

If you clip it on the right, it will keep the D-ring flatter and maybe make clipping off the long-hose easier.

I'd be a bit careful clipping too much to the right-dring (cameras etc) as they can foul the long-hose during deployment

Yeah... what he sald! :wink:

I do that as well. One light - on the right Dring, as it makes clipping off the can light and long hose easier.

Plus - I usually have the big camera rig on the left D-ring.

I "clip-up" my light and long hose. I "clip-down" my BU Light so its easier to distinguish them with one hand.

---
Ken

I keep my backup light on the left, because I found having it on the right made it HARDER to clip into the right D-ring. And my right D-ring has my primary reg, lighthead and spare double-ender on it already. The left D-ring has my camera on entry to the water, but I switch it to the right when I'm using the camera because it gives me more slack to aim that way.

As far as I know, there's no "official" verdict.

Buy the other light.

Hogarhian= If you don't need it, don't take it. If you do need it, Take 2!! :D

TSandM:
I keep my backup light on the left, because I found having it on the right made it HARDER to clip into the right D-ring. And my right D-ring has my primary reg, lighthead and spare double-ender on it already. The left D-ring has my camera on entry to the water, but I switch it to the right when I'm using the camera because it gives me more slack to aim that way.

As far as I know, there's no "official" verdict.

So all the more reason to put it on the right and practice :)
I do notice the right is harder to deploy the backup from (I instinctively go to the left, and then usually discover a GUE instructor has "removed" the left one ...)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom