Long hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
With no can light or pocket. How do you recommend routing a 7' hose so it stays put? I'd prefer not to tuck it into my waist belt as this seems like it may delay deployment in an emergency.

Thoughts?

Hey ACR, I use a set of shears on my waist belt and route the hose under the shears.

Hey ACR, I use a set of shears on my waist belt and route the hose under the shears.

When I don't have my can light (which is rarely), I do as Jimmer. I personally like it better than tucking, but that works as well. I'm assuming you're using a BP/W.

I was taught to tuck it into my harness at my waist without a canister. Learning to deploy it in a situation is a matter of training and experience. If you don't tuck it in your harness, it could become an entanglement hazard or drag in the silt in a tight passage.

Tucking it under your belt doesn't delay deployment. Remember, the critical time is the time it takes you to get the loop over your head. That gets the reg into the OOA diver's mouth and the emergency is over. Deploying the full length can be a leisurely (more or less) process. Yanking the loop out of my belt probably takes me less time, in reality, than unhooking it from under my can light.

I'm assuming you're using a BP/W.

You assume correctly.

Tucking it under your belt doesn't delay deployment. Remember, the critical time is the time it takes you to get the loop over your head. That gets the reg into the OOA diver's mouth and the emergency is over. Deploying the full length can be a leisurely (more or less) process. Yanking the loop out of my belt probably takes me less time, in reality, than unhooking it from under my can light.

Lynne is right -- but I will also add this: When deploying the long hose in an OOG emergency...

Be quick, but don't hurry!

Hurrying and panicking only leads to an escalation of the situation. Donate gas calmly, quickly, and confidently.

tucking it in your belt will barely effect deployment. Loop it around your head and into your mouth so it's comfortably positioned, then where it makes the U to run back up to the 1st stage just tuck the bottom of the loop in your belt. I've done it many times while getting used to mine and never even felt resistance as I pulled it out (in mock ooa deployment). Otherwise like Jimmer said, loop it under a knife or shears, or anything else on your belt.

Lynne is right -- but I will also add this: When deploying the long hose in an OOG emergency...

Be quick, but don't hurry!

Hurrying and panicking only leads to an escalation of the situation. Donate gas calmly, quickly, and confidently.

Now, that's good information.

I'm thinking about wrapping a piece of inner tube around my tank and keeping the excess tucked in there - and then not going behind the neck with it. I saw it done this way and it looked pretty tidy and easy to deploy. Thoughts?

(I should mention I dive singles, 5' hose, no wetsuit.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom