Bright Orange and Yellow Wings and Thermal Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinkles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a recreational diver. I dive with a gigantic jacket BC. I even have an octo-inflator. But I am seriously contemplating going to a backplate and wing. Since I tend to be an all or nothing kind of guy if I do so, I am likely to go “whole hog” pun intended.

I have been reading this forum, and the DIR forum trying to understand exactly what going all the way would entail. I have been somewhat startled by the passion that various questions cause. I have come to understand that DIR stands for Do It Right, and that the philosophy is for consistency, reliability, and purpose for equipment. That makes perfect sense to me except for one thing.

I know that I have read that it is ok to wear colors other than black. But if the standard is to Do It Right, it just seems to me that visibility in the form of bright orange or yellow gear (perhaps with reflective strips) ought to be as mandatory as, to cite one example, a goodman handle on a light head (did I get that right?).

I do not know much about diving, yet, so there is probably something I do not understand, but it seems to me that making yourself as visible as is possible ought to be a mandatory standard. The closest I have come to an emergency while scuba diving, was spending 45 minutes searching for a diver that got separated from the group in the currents off of Cancun.

I have to confess, this is the one issue that casts some doubt in my mind on the total merits of the “dark side” philosophy.

Don’t get me wrong, I fully appreciate the fashion sense of all black, it just seems to me that if we are all about doing it right, fashion should be cast aside by the leadership in favor of the safety of visibility.

I really am not trying to be a troll. I am seriously asking if this is a gap in the evolution of safer diving.

Let me take a stab at this.

I used to feel the same as you regarding high-viz colors.

If you are asking about DIR, I guess that the philosophy is that gear should not be used to compensate for lack of skills. In other words, a properly trained diver does not need high visibility gear to function safely. The color of your gear should make no difference regarding your safety.

Additionally, there may be physical differences between black-colored gear and brightly-colored gear. The yellow hoses reportedly float and thus drift out of position, causing problems not alleviating problems.

Regarding your search in Cancun -- properly trained divers don't need brightly colored gear because properly trained divers don't get separated from their buddy.

Make any sense?

Last edited:
your thinking to much into it. Alot of divers with BP/W are not tech and dont follow the DIR way like a drill sargeant. Do what feels right

I know that I have read that it is ok to wear colors other than black. But if the standard is to Do It Right, it just seems to me that visibility in the form of bright orange or yellow gear (perhaps with reflective strips) ought to be as mandatory as, to cite one example, a goodman handle on a light head (did I get that right?).

Don't let the folks in that forum fool you. DIR is "the standard" for only a tiny, tiny group of divers, principally in one small part of the country.

Bright yellow or orange gear is going to be hard to maintain; its going to get dirty easily, and stay dirty and ugly. Plus its not as though orange or yellow are visible colors at depth anyway.

Personally, I think its better to create appropriate contrasts. I use a black drysuit (actually because I have a fusion and that's the only color), but the blue miflex for my long hose. It stands out really, really well against the black drysuit.

Its a good question.

If DIR had evolved out of Open Ocean diving then bright Orange wetsuit/drysuit might be the standard.

Regarding your search in Cancun -- properly trained divers don't need brightly colored gear because properly trained divers don't get separated from their buddy.

But stuff happens. Anchor lines can pull/break. Currents can change. Heck,boats can sink. If I was adrift in the Gulf of Mexico (With my buddy of course) I would be cursing a black wetsuit. They are good for sneak dives though !

ianr, thanks for your reply. I had thought about posting some "but what ifs", but decided I didn't want to sound argumentative.

I suspect, expanding on your evolutionary suggestion, that the only color neoprene came in, in the early days, was black.

I am starting to be "sold" but wondering if I could pass the fundies.

If you surface on the ocean and find your boat missing, you would be happy to be as bright as you can get.

Black looks cool, and in a cave probably doesn't matter much, but if you're somewhere that might require an air search for a rescue, bright colors are good.

My new wing is red, and I couldn't care less if anybody else doesn't like the color. I would have bought orange if they made it.

Terry

Terry

If you surface on the ocean and find your boat missing, you would be happy to be as bright as you can get.

Black looks cool, and in a cave probably doesn't matter much, but if you're somewhere that might require an air search for a rescue, bright colors are good.

My new wing is red, and I couldn't care less if anybody else doesn't like the color. I would have bought orange if they made it.

Terry

Terry

I'm with you on the bright colors idea. I go for yellow gear whenever possible. Might save your bacon one day...........

Stop over and visit the accidents and incidents forum and read about divers drifting away from their boats. Black is cool but not the end-all-be-all in dive gear. I buy and use the gear I like based on its function and my needs. The color is not important. What is important is your confidence in the gear’s ability to perform as you expect. That said, my wing is bright blue and my wife’s is bright red.

Don't let the folks in that forum fool you. DIR is "the standard" for only a tiny, tiny group of divers, principally in one small part of the country.
Correct, GUE only has instructors in the following locations FL, CA, NY, UT, WA, CO, CT, KY, AK, Cayman Islands, Netherlands, Ontario Canada, Mexico, Germany, Sweden, Italy, England, Italy, Norway, Russia, Poland, Hungary, Spain, Egypt, Philippines, Singapore, Japan, Oman, New South Whales (Australia), and Victoria (Australia).

This list obviously doesn't include DIR instructors who teach through a different agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom