Newb BackPlate Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goindrinkn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thank you in advance for not making fun of my potentially dumb question. I've been looking at many posts on DIR / HOG and Standard tech diving posts and can not find good guidance on a simple question.

Is a backplate and harness (Hog style) a backplate and harness?

To clarify a bit more, I understand that there's SS and AL backplates - and there's a weight difference. And there are some differnet cuts and punch configurations. But do they make a difference? Comfort/fit wise isn't a plate a plate? And is one brand or style more/less desireable amongst the Hog community?

And as far as the harness, if the harness is a standard 2" webbing with a SS buckle and the properly placed D rings etc, (understanding that less is more on the harness as far as the quick disconnects etc.) is a harness a harness?

I'm investigating my next set of equipment and am looking outside the standard rec setup... And sometimes it's hard to get past the I only dive this brand and everything else is crap type posts. I'm a FL diver and enjoy everything from the Reefs to the little bit of Ginnie we've seen. I'm planning on taking an intro class to see if I enjoy that type of diving, but if nothing else it will help me be a better diver whether in the gulf or the pool!

Thank you in advance -

Thank you in advance for not making fun of my potentially dumb question. I've been looking at many posts on DIR / HOG and Standard tech diving posts and can not find good guidance on a simple question.

Is a backplate and harness (Hog style) a backplate and harness?

All back plates and wings, i,e, BP&W's are very similar, but they are not all the same.

Plates differ, in no particular order:

Over all size / length. Most are sold in a single size, some are offered in a range of sizes

Over all bend angle. Some plates are steeply bent, some less so. This can impact fit / comfort.

Center channel depth. Some plates have very deep center channels, fine for doubles, but less desirable for use with single tanks.

Overall shape. Variations in width, corner radius

Material. Stainless Steel, Aluminum, and Plastic.

Gauge or thickness. Most SS plates are 11 gauge or about .118" Most Al plates are 1/8" . Plastic plates vary a bit more.

Finish. Some plates are sold "as cut" with minimal deburring, some plates are better finished and some are completely finished, i.e. no sharp edges or slots.

Number of, size of, and location of perimeter holes in the plate. Some plates have more holes, some less. In practice very few holes are necessary, as few accessories are mounted directly to the plate.

Camband slots. Most plates have camband slots, some do not.

Location of camband slots. Varies from plate to plate, no standard location.

Mounting holes for doubles or STA in center channel. Al plates will have at least one pair of holes at 11 " centers. Some will offer more than one set of holes.

Available accessories. Plate pads or pockets, weight plates, etc.

Other than that all plates are same...:wink:

Of course there are also differences in wings too.

Tobin[/QUOTE]

he's absolutely right. there are a million minor differences, and not every plate will work with every singles wing, for instance, because of how the camband slots line up, but *basically*, yes, a plate is a plate.

and webbing is webbing. the only two i've tried were dive rite (sold in a harness kit) and hot pink someone bought and made into the right length and put in a grommet, and the hot pink works just fine but is way stiffer.

ok so what I'm reading is yes the differences are the differences in finishing and size, but when it comes down to it, a plate is basically a plate. I'll have to do a bit more research on the curvature... that's a new one for me. I'd like to dive singles or doubles, so the information was very informative. Curves, and burrs are easily correctable. However I guess like anything else, Size Matters.

Thanks for your insite, if anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it. (and it helps those to come)

We will have to try one or two and see what happens!

Thanks!

You should give Tobin a call... he is in the business and knows what he is talking about and is happy to answer questions. Additionally, his products are outstanding and are highly rated on the many on this board.

I love my DSS rig.

You should give Tobin a call... he is in the business and knows what he is talking about and is happy to answer questions. Additionally, his products are outstanding and are highly rated on the many on this board.

I love my DSS rig.

I agree and ME TOO!

I'm about to order a doubles wing and then work on my nephew's new BP/W. :)

Michael

Size and placement of slots also varies. My husband bought a Dive Rite aluminum plate, dove it a few times and sold it, because the shoulder strap slots were in a different position and uncomfortable. He bought a Deep Sea Supply Kydex plate to replace it, and is happy with that.

Material. Stainless Steel, Aluminum, and Plastic

And, for the fans of unnecessary hardware: Titanium.

Personally, I'm waiting for an MP35N plate before I upgrade again. 300KSI or nothing.[/sarcasm]

I looked at a bunch of plates, and Tobin is correct, while the basic concept is the same, there are lots of differences as well.

After buying - and then returning - a couple of plates, I ended up with one of Tobin's plates. I like the shallower bend of the plate, the plastic inserts that hold the webbing in place while still allowing easy adjustments.

Last but not least, Tobin is one of the (few?) manufacturers that account for the fact that the diagonal measure of a 2" strap is *more* than 2", and he therefore cuts the diagonal slots long enough to accommodate the webbing *without* rolling and unnecessary wear of the webbing edges.

Henrik
(just a happy customer)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom