Back-Up Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutybooty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, dutybooties gone away to play in Jamaica, all courtesy of Her Majesties Gobernment. Since he was going away to where the diving is free, he purged out on new gear, and is now having problems.

Got a new reg, a Poseidon Cyklon 5000 and they're great regs, absolutely love them, only problem is the back up always pulls down to one side, and I can't find out whats wrong with them. I've tried switching to hoses of different lengths and tried altering the bungee.

Help me guys, it could be my routing, but I can't figure out what to change.

Desperately yours,

Dutybooty

No swivel on either, don't really want to get one.

If you think that is the problem, would a Miflex hose be able to sort it out?

Dutybooty

Not for the next week or two until I get back to base. I don't take cameras on "excercise" heehee.

At the moment thought its a Poseidon Cyklon 5000 with a normal 22" hose running from the left post/right hand of first stage (depending upon doubles or singles) over right shoulder and onto the bungee around my neck.

Don't know if that can help you help me at all but it was worth a try.

Dutybooty

Some regs are not designed very well for streamlining. The ScubaPro Mk2 comes to mind. Great reg, just bad design on the hose ports. And then when you plug 5 hoses into them (HP SPG, LP 2nd, LP 2nd backup, LP B/C-wing, LP drysuit) then you have hoses going all over the world.

That is where the word "octopus" first came from, hoses all over the world.

The Mk 2 has a port arrangement similar to the Conshelf, Deep Star and other early single hose regs that was driven mostly by the design and less by concern for hose routing and after adding SPG, inflator and "octo" hoses it did look a lot like an octopus. Although to be fair for a single tank with an SPG, inflator, primary and octo it worked ok if you put the SPG at 4 o'clock and went counter clockwise from there as they pointed in generally the right directions. On doubles however it results in horrible hose routing.

The Mk 2 has a port arrangement similar to the Conshelf, Deep Star and other early single hose regs that was driven mostly by the design and less by concern for hose routing and after adding SPG, inflator and "octo" hoses it did look a lot like an octopus. Although to be fair for a single tank with an SPG, inflator, primary and octo it worked ok if you put the SPG at 4 o'clock and went counter clockwise from there as they pointed in generally the right directions. On doubles however it results in horrible hose routing.

Indeed, so true.

And therefore I never ever use my Mk2's on my doubles. They work great on deco bottles and for argon though.

The Mk20s work perfectly for doubles, however. Currently I think this model is now called Mk25 by ScubaPro.

yea i wouldnt get a swivle if you could help it.. (imo) the ports on that first stage looks like it is all on one side.. so it kind of looks like a design flaw. but i have not seen one or anything in person.. try a flex hose if u can get your hands on one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom