OMS SS or alum backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Should I get a OMS comfort harness with alum or SS backplate? My goal is to use the least weight in the pockets and was wondering if the SS would be better for this? I dive in fresh water most of the time. The only drawback for me is the SS cost as I am on a budget.

Thanks

It depends on your tanks (al or steel), suit (wet or dry) and how much weight you use. I went with al because I dive twin steel tanks.

I use one of each for different configurations dependant on tanks and exposure protection. Also depending on whether traveling or local diving.
With the AL plate I can save 4 lbs in my luggage and add that to my weight belt or pockets. You can't take the weight off a too heavy SS plate but you can add weight to a lighter rig.

It depends on your tanks (al or steel), suit (wet or dry) and how much weight you use. I went with al because I dive twin steel tanks.

I use single tank AL 80 CF and wet suit.

Good idea about the travel weight. But isn't it a pain to change the webbing from one plate to the other?

Good idea about the travel weight.

Steel.

Good idea about the travel weight. But isn't it a pain to change the webbing from one plate to the other?

Usually with an AL tank you use a steel bp, you can take 6lbs off your belt. Webbing is cheap, you don't switch it from one plate to another.

I may be wrong, but I don't think a comfort harness conforms to Hogarthian principles of minimalism.

Was a Hogarthian or minimalist approach part of the OP's requirements. It isn't one of mine. Just because someone likes a BP&W doesn't require them to take a minimalist or Hogarthian approach to diving. A BP&W may be used simply for it's modular versatility or because of it's good trim characteristics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom