Pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OMS no-sag is kind of a good idea but it tends to become more bulk in front of you, -I like to keep my front clear. The design does work, it is always right where it is supposed to be. However, I never really liked the weight-dump part of it, just a good easy-open pocket with some elastic to make it stay flatter would have been much better. I have one and dive it occasionally, usually when I'm fussing with new configs.

I dive x-shorts since I have a bunch of wetsuits and I'm not putting pockets on all of them! I look like a dork, but I do love them so!

Rachel

The OMS no-sag is kind of a good idea but it tends to become more bulk in front of you, -I like to keep my front clear. The design does work, it is always right where it is supposed to be. However, I never really liked the weight-dump part of it, just a good easy-open pocket with some elastic to make it stay flatter would have been much better. I have one and dive it occasionally, usually when I'm fussing with new configs.

OMS makes 2 pockets. The large pocket is more of a storage pocket and does not dump weights. (I think) I'm diving a single tank with wetsuit and in relatively shallow freshwater (80 ft.) Don't need much weight but wonder if it is safe to put the minimal ballast of say 2 to 3 pounds in each pocket if it can't be dumped quickly?

So, you aren't talking about utility pockets, but where to keep weights?

Whether to keep your ballast, or some of it ditchable or not is an individual decision. If you can swim your rig up from depth with an empty wing, you are probably okay without ditchable weight. But weight ditching is primarily done to ensure surface buoyancy in the event of a problem. Your pocket weights would be quite difficult for a buddy to access on the surface, if you were panicky. So part of it goes to how much diving experience you have, the conditions under which you dive, and whether you are prone to losing your cool under stress.

I carry 4 lbs in salt water with my SS BP, and I carry them on the cambands, so they are not easily ditchable. I've assessed the risk and I'm okay with it.

For utility pockets, I use x-shorts. They work, and they have great big, useful pockets, and they cost very little more than two pockets and the glue to put them on.

So, you aren't talking about utility pockets, but where to keep weights?

Whether to keep your ballast, or some of it ditchable or not is an individual decision. If you can swim your rig up from depth with an empty wing, you are probably okay without ditchable weight. But weight ditching is primarily done to ensure surface buoyancy in the event of a problem. Your pocket weights would be quite difficult for a buddy to access on the surface, if you were panicky. So part of it goes to how much diving experience you have, the conditions under which you dive, and whether you are prone to losing your cool under stress.

I carry 4 lbs in salt water with my SS BP, and I carry them on the cambands, so they are not easily ditchable. I've assessed the risk and I'm okay with it.

For utility pockets, I use x-shorts. They work, and they have great big, useful pockets, and they cost very little more than two pockets and the glue to put them on.

Don't need much weight but wonder if it is safe to put the minimal ballast of say 2 to 3 pounds in each pocket if it can't be dumped quickly?

I always have something that can be quickly dumped, had to drop a W/B once, glad it was only 8#. If you have something easy to ditch, then no reason the balance can't be a bit harder to get to. I now distribute my weighting so that I always have an 6-10# weight belt. That way, no matter what I'm diving, I reflexively go to the weight belt first. One less thing to think about when overtasked.

OMS makes Large and small no sag pockets these are to intergrate weight onto a BP&W.
They also make a large and small mask pocket. I have 2 of the small mask pockets I use regularly for signal and safety gear and have even put a couple of lbs of lead into to quickly adjust my weight. Also made by OMS are weight pockets that hold up to 5 lbs of non dumpable weight I have 2 of these I can add to my tank straps for travel.
For weighting yourself while using a BP&W my first choice is a weight belt. It allows me to set up my weight belt so it offsets my exposure suit buoyancy separately from my BCD the advantage of this is that if needed I can release my BCD underwater without my instantly becoming buoyant and needing to hold on to the BCD. This can be of advantage if you get caught on something or if you need to manuver through a small opening.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom