Hogarthian Vs DIR/GUE?... a definition please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPT OZZY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a Recreational Diver who is thinking about moving to BP & W and Harness Set up and possibly some Tech Courses in the Future. I Have read J. Jablonski's DIR book, so I am somewhat familier with the DIR/GUE set-up and Rational. I have seen numerous references to Hogarthian Diving, but I don't know what Hogarthian is.
Can someone point me to a Reference and/or definition?

Thanks

Hogarthian is a philosophical approach to diving. DIR/GUE is one subset of Hog.

Willy Volk:
The term “Hogarthian diver” generally refers to a minimalist diving style devised William Hogarth Main who believed, essentially, that if a piece of equipment isn’t needed, it’s a liability. It’s not simply the practice of diving with as little as possible, however, which sets apart the Hogarthian diver. (Indeed, if you look at some of their gear set-ups, you’ll quickly see that Hogarthians are rarely accused of carrying very little.) Instead, the Hogarthian style strives to “eliminate the unnecessary while configuring the necessary in the most streamlined manner possible.” Arguably, for the Hogarthian diver -- who are typically cave divers -- the means are an end unto themselves. For an excellent, articulate elaboration of the Hogarthian system, check out Jarrod Jablonski’s treatment of the practice.

If you’re interested in learning a bit more about Hogarthian diving, I found a fairly regimented list of “acceptable” Hogarthian rules. Moreover, the Woodville Karst Plain Project is widely considered to be the strictest adherents to Hogarth’s system. They’ve got plenty of images and suggestions for Hogarthian rigs for the curious.
Willy Volk

As I understand it, "Hogarthian" is a reference to a specific gear configuration as pioneered and developed by Bill Hogarth Main--it emphasizes minimalism and streamlining. So the use of a backplate, wing, and a harness made from a single continuous length of webbing--and all that jazz--is all part of the Hogarthian equipment setup.

"DIR" diving has from the beginning adopted and used the Hogarthian setup as part of the equipment prong of that diving system/philosophy.

My favorite quote on this subject is from GI3 himself, but it's a little to, ah... colorful to post on this family friendly site!:D

"DIR" diving has from the beginning adopted and used the Hogarthian setup as part of the equipment prong of that diving system/philosophy.

The other legs of the "DIR triangle" being training and experience. Hogarthian is just the gear setup (which is essentially the same as the DIR setup)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom