Redundancy with a Single Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Do HOGs use H-Valves to provide a redundant 1st stage?

Otter:
Actually, HOG is not a type of diver, rather a gear configuration.

Now with that said, I have been wondering the same thing. In checking with my instructor and my mentor I have found neither recommends the idea of the "H" valve over the use of a sling/stage bottle as a true redundant air source.

Right now I'm working on getting a 40cuft AL to sling up for my dives below 65ft or in cold water like is the norm for me at that depth and will be for all depths this winter.

Quarrior:
I have found neither recommends the idea of the "H" valve over the use of a sling/stage bottle as a true redundant air source.

The two do not serve the same purpose. Difficult to explain and I don't have much time, but two regs on an H or Y valve provide redundant regs, nothing more. However, two regs on an isolated manifold with doubles provides equipment redunduncy as well as redundant air.

A slung pony serves as emergency air only (or should).

MD

Quarrior:
Actually, HOG is not a type of diver, rather a gear configuration.

Now with that said, I have been wondering the same thing. In checking with my instructor and my mentor I have found neither recommends the idea of the "H" valve over the use of a sling/stage bottle as a true redundant air source.

Right now I'm working on getting a 40cuft AL to sling up for my dives below 65ft or in cold water like is the norm for me at that depth and will be for all depths this winter.

In my shorthand a HOG = Diver using a Hogarthian config...so we are on the same page.

The downsides to a pony have been enumerated before, so rather than going into that again I 'll wait to see how others respond -- I am not against a sling/stage bottle, just looking for what others do.

MechDiver:
The two do not serve the same purpose. Difficult to explain and I don't have much time, but two regs on an H or Y valve provide redundant regs, nothing more. However, two regs on an isolated manifold with doubles provides equipment redunduncy as well as redundant air.

A slung pony serves as emergency air only (or should).

MD
Not trying to start something here, but, wouldn't having to switch to the second reg on an H/Y valve constitute an emergency assuming the primary failed for some reason? Thus the independent air source would be justified?

Otter:

Absolutely, an H-vavle will provide first stage redundancy, you can shut either side off in the event of an uncontroled free flow, breached hose, etc. You have only one source of air so H-valve redundancy is not truely redundant. That said, you need an extremely rare failure to get in trouble. I have dove this setup many times. Sometimes, a single large overfilled tank just fits the bill right.

Quarrior:
Not trying to start something here, but, wouldn't having to switch to the second reg on an H/Y valve constitute an emergency assuming the primary failed for some reason? Thus the independent air source would be justified?

I didn't explain that well as I didn't have time. That was part of my point, that having equipment redundancy did not in itself solve a problem, and was not the same as a "redundant air source".
I also wanted to get across that if you had manifolded doubles, and were diving the type of profile where you would consider a pony, that the dbls gave you both equipment and air redundancy. Maybe that is getting outside the loop for your question, but essentially, if you think you need a pony, then you probably need a small set of doubles :wink:

For the sake of argument, with the regs out now, equipment failure is fairly rare so I would disagree with msandler on the usefulness of an H or Y valve.

Good discussion.

MD

actually Mech, I didn't say that. Rephrase: Failures left unaddressed by a good H-valve setup are few.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom