Where do you clip .......??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is where i clip my various bits, just wondering what others do and why (as we all wonder at times about these items)?? Feel free to add/ask others.

SPG (assuming analog gauge) - now clipped to left chest D as i can see it with a quick glance down, i have clipped it to the left hip D, but found it harder to see when cliped and didnt like unclipping it to see it. I sometimes do find the inflator hose gets on top of it, still trying to get around that. I do find that the SPG in this position also becomes like a placement for my primary hose - coming up from my hip, it is placed around the SPG and up behind my neck, keeps a little tension on it which i like.

Primary hose - when OOA (doing drill so far) i clip the hose of my primary (assuming i am not donor) to the bungee of my backup, dont think it would reach to the right shoulder D without some tugging about.

Reels - just on another post this was mentioned. Safety and backup spool on butt D just lower than tank, i have seen them clipped onto tank mounted D's and my buddy isnt diving a BP/W, so for the back inflate BC she has a utility belt that has D's behind her hips. Primary during water entry and exit i clip to left hip D, but of course when in water it is usually in use, but have clipped also to butt D to keep it out of stream.

Lights - i think this is mostly universal, back ups on shoulder straps with bungee/innertube/surgical tubing and clipped to chest D's. Aside from that obvious set up, I also clip my HID off on right D on entry and if i am lead diver working the reel (i find winding in a pain with light on my hand), and my No 2 is giving me light on the way in as to where to place/tie. If i do need it, i can always unclip it from the double ender on the chest D and put it on my hand. Still getting in the habits of reel work, so could still change.

Arrows/Cookies - i started out clipping these on the necklace, but i use 3/16" bungee and they didnt feel all that secure, or easy to get off one handed - others have it on 1/4" and they seem tighter, but still not simple to snap on and off. I recently started putting them on a chest D (and have thought of putting them on bungee or such in a pocket) which seem to hold them securely, but i have been informed that when i start using stages, that could be a pain to get to, so looking for ideas/thoughts.

So where do you clip all those things you bring with you to dive???

SPG (assuming analog gauge)

I clip to left chest D ring like you.

Primary hose - when OOA (doing drill so far)

For me I clip to right chest D ring.

As I mentioned in the other post, backup in left bellows pocket and primary on butt D ring.

Yeah, I do clip to chest D's. Had a problem a couple of dives ago when I was doing a gas switch back to backgas at 10'. I THOUGHT I unclipped my primary 2nd stage but actually unclipped my backup light from my right chest D ring. I had a nice view of my light dropping down into the darkness....

Arrows/Cookies

Well, I don't really use these yet.

SPG - Left hip D ring.
Backup lights - one on each shoulder strap
Primary - Right should strap
Safety reel - Right hip D ring
Can light head - Right shoulder D ring
Compass - Now that I have prescription lenses I will be putting it on my wrist, but it's been on a retractor on my right shoulder strap so I strech it out far enough to see it. lol

kramynot2000:
I Had a problem a couple of dives ago when I was doing a gas switch back to backgas at 10'. I THOUGHT I unclipped my primary 2nd stage but actually unclipped my backup light from my right chest D ring. I had a nice view of my light dropping down into the darkness....

I learned something that helped me alot w/ that, always have your BU lights as the inside most clip on you D rings. helped me.

Added some "bits"...here´s my list...

SPG - Left hip D ring.
Backup lights - one on each shoulder strap
Knife (actually a knife/shear combo) - left shoulder strap
Shear - Waist belt
Reel - Right hip D ring/Right Drysuit D ring and pocket
SMB - Right Drysuit D ring and pocket
Lift bag - bungy around stage
Can light head - Right shoulder D ring
Compass - Left wrist
Comp - Right wrist
BT - Right wrist

Safety sausage with whistle attached is stowed in a pocket out of the way. I have two pockets, one on each side right next to the plate so they are out of the way. During freshwater dives i will have a spare mask in one and during saltwater dives both a mask and the safety sausage in that same one. The other is a slate/tables sized/use one.

One thing I started doing as I began using more stage bottles is clip the SPG to my right shoulder D-Ring with the hose coming uder my left arm and across my chest. I found that with two stage bottles attached the left hip D-Ring began getting a little busy, and if I wanted to check the pressure in my mains it was hard to get the spg around the stages and so forth. With it attached to my right shoulder d-ring I simply look down and turn the spg so I can see it. Be careful not to trap your long hose when doing this. YMMV...

Just a point of concern here, what if you have to get your gear off (say in an emergency), the crossing bits of equipment might cause a problem surely?

Sim,

I'm with you except the SPG. With deco bottles it's on the left chest D-ring. Without bottles, its on the left Hip D-ring.

Where do you put a catch bag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom