Cutting tools - how many? where? etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
Just curious as to how folks carry their cutting tools and what they carry. I have a typical dive knife on the belt of my BP harness but have been debating about whether its best to carry a z-knife or pair of shears in my drysuit leg pocket. What do others carry and where?

To many this may seem to be a bit of overkill, but I make my choice based on my diving conditions.

On ocean dives where there is very little, if any, chance of entanglement, I carry a small knife on my left side waist strap.

When I'm diving in my primary dive environment, Lake Lanier north of Atlanta, I carry the aforementioned knife, along with a "standard" dive knife with line cutting notch inside my right calf and a "Z"-knife attached to my right shoulder strap directly beneath my backup light.

There is a seriously significant amount of fishing line and entanglement material in this impoundment and have no desire to spend eternity at the bottom of the lake.

kramynot2000:
Just curious as to how folks carry their cutting tools and what they carry. I have a typical dive knife on the belt of my BP harness but have been debating about whether its best to carry a z-knife or pair of shears in my drysuit leg pocket. What do others carry and where?

I carry at least two sometimes three devices. My primary device (shears) is carried on my left arm . my computer strap goes throw the belt loop and the rest is tucked under the bungies on my wrist slate. sense my arms are tucked under my chest , this makes it very easy to get too.(no feeling around,just look and grab) my secondary is a Z knife in the middle of the harness belt. if I carry my six inch blunt point it goes in a pocket so it won't be an entanglement hazard.

It depends on what I'm doing on the dive, but usually I carry a small blunt tip knife and some shears (ever try cutting steel leader with a knife?). The knife is on the waist and the shears either on the waist or in a pocket
If spearfishing I carry a pig-sticker (large drop-point) - inside left calf.
Rick

Oh, forgot to mention the stainless steel Leatherman that I carry in my accessory/mask pouch. Guess that counts, too.

I have a little z-knife that I keep on my wrist - my dive watch strap holds it on.

When I go wreck diving I typically carry a typical dive knife too, mounted next to my canister light. It's bigger, but I figure I can cut/hack/chop/beat anything with it that my z-knife can't get. Wrecks just make me a little leary when they have nets and such on them so I like to have a few options.

A large handled /small blade knife on my waist belt.
Shears in pocket
Small knife on goodman handle

When spearfishing I have a riffe knife straped to my forarm oppsit of my gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom