z knife and/or knife with sheath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jawbone

Reaction score
Would like some opinions on carrying a z knife or a small knife in sheath with line cutter or both. I know where to carry it. I'm just trying to decide which one. Also if knife and sheath what are some recommeneded ones. Thanks in advance. Jason

I carry a z-knife and a pair of shears, I do mostly cave diving so all I really need is a line cutter, no hassles, I don't even have to rinse it really.

i carry a small knife in a sheath and a z-knife and shears in my pocket. I've never had to use any of them underwater.

The knives are good for thin line and they look better when you hold them in your teeth, but the shears would be better suited for underwater art projects, such as cutting through steel fishing leaders.

The one time I really had to use my knife in a hurry I wished it was much bigger, or that I had a hacksaw instead.
We were just positioning a largish boat (68ft) with a large single screw, close to an island and somebody messed up and the zodiac cable took at least a dozen turns around the prop and shaft. I was at the platform all geared up and a crew member came running up and checking that I had a big knife strapped to my leg practically pushed me into the water with instructions to clear the fouling immediately.
We were starting to drift towards the rocks so things were urgent and even throwing out an anchor it was going to be touch and go if it would bite in time.
Well the cable around the prop was wound tight and piled up so it felt like an iron bar and even alternating between the razor sharp blade and the serrated back edge it seemed to take an eternity to clear the stuff.
I finally freed it, swam clear and they were able to engage the motor but I hate to think what would have happened if I only had my dinky small knife on the reg hose.
There are definitely times when bigger is better. :wink:

BigboyDan:
Hah! I edited my post as you made yours... that's a beauty, though!
LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom