Wing size question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at changing over to the Hollis Solo BP&W and need to know what the recommended wing size would be for me please? I am 6'2" and weighing in at 235 lbs. I am going to be diving with a dry suit, rock boots/Hollis F1 XXL fins and either a steel 95 or 100. I dove a friends Hollis wing yesterday in the pool and absolutely loved it. Only thing is, is that he has a 60 lb wing on there (according to him) and it taco'd the tank during the dive. I have read where that is not a desirable thing. I would appreciate some good feedback on which way to go. As you can see I am a new diver and this would be my first wing purchase.

Thanks,
Dave

PS: Also looking at the Mk 4 mask...it looks really good.

For drysuit with single steel cylinders I use a DSS Torus 35 wing. I also have a DSS steel plate with weight plates. I wear additional weight on a Mako rubber free dive weight belt.

I have found the weight ratings of DSS wings to be damn near exact. I also like that they support diving single tanks without a STA and do it well.

60 is massive. There's a wing calculator for this stuff in the BCD forum that you can use... but as an example I use a 24# for Ali singles, a 32# for a Steel 100, and a 40# for Steel doubles. 60# is way too big for singles, and most doubles diving.

Looking at the LX and S series wings, it looks like the 38# would suit you fairly well. The 25# is probably a bit too small. But you should really run the numbers in the calculator.

Thanks that is good to know. One dumb question but what is an STA? I have read the term but do not know what it means.

Thanks again

STA = Single Tank Adaptor.

Basically it's a piece of steel U-channel that is bolted to the plate, with the wing sandwiched in-between. The tank is then strapped to the STA.

In some ways it's a hold-over from when plates were first designed for doubles and adapted to singles. Many singles wings though now can work without an STA with the cam strap going through the wing and the plate.

I have quite a few Hollis wings, and Hollis Stainless Steel plates and a Hollis AL plate. The corners are bent away from the body and the cosmetic finish on the plates is very nice.
For all around diving I use the S-25 (25lb lift) wing. When Im diving cold water, with drysuit and thick insulation, steel tanks, etc., I use the S-38 (38lb lift). The new Hollis wings come with an internal bungie that keeps the wing compressed to a very small size. It's easily removable if you don't like it. The new wings have the oval inflator hose which is streamlined and lays very nicely over the shoulder and remains right where you expect it to be. The black and red material is quite nice looking as well. Also, you will not need a STA with the Hollis wings.

LowDrag, 60 I feel is WAY to big... I dive a DiveRite 45lb wing and it can taco. Once you get your Whites, a 30-40 will be more then enough. After I settle into my Whites I'm moving into a HOG 32 wing, but it will also work well in warmer water, as my 45 was way to big in Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom