500 SE - How does it work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownDave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone from Hollis explain how the servo mechanism in the 500SE works? How is it different/similar to "normal" regulators?

Can someone from Hollis explain how the servo mechanism in the 500SE works? How is it different/similar to "normal" regulators?

Hi Dave,

There are two small chambers on the 500SE, one is called the "control valve" which is a small orifice the control lever rests on. The second is the larger "main valve" where the primary flow of air is provided through a ported 360 degree deflector. The control valve rests against the diaphragm with only a lightweight spring providing tension. This spring tension is all that must be overcome to let pressure off the control valve. Once the orifice of the control valve is opened and pressure changes, a vacuum is created which opens the main valve flowing air to the mouthpiece. Breathing from a servo valve is historically with lower breathing resistance, the 500SE two chamber design makes it almost effortless.

This question gets asked quite a bit, we are working on a product video to help illustrate the 500SE valve function. Stay tuned, hope this helped in the meantime.

valve design copy.jpg

Nick, Im thinking of getting two 500se, Im just getting into side mount actually dove with one of your reps last year at Dutch he was using the SMS100 (I now have one great for back mount)( also tried your f1 fins also now own) I want the 500se more because its reversible and its size than for the side exhaust but Ive read a lot about it free flowing is this something that can be adjusted?

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 11:21 AM ----------

Sorry Nick no need to reply I see you already answered on another post thanks.

Shouldn't you guys announce the recall of this model?

---------- Post added January 25th, 2014 at 12:20 AM ----------

The DC7 first stage - not the500 se second

Thanks Nick, that diagram helped a lot but I'll also be interested in seeing the video too. The servo mechanism is new to me and I am hesitant to dive with gear I don't understand.

I have used the nearly identical design on the original Omega for nearly 30 years. The design is elegant, simple, and requires almost no maintenance. There are no adjustments to make, just assemble and it works over a much wider IP range than most second stages.

DC7_small.jpg
It has come to our attention that a small production run of the DC7 regulator first stages were improperly assembled. ONLY DC7 regulator packages with a serial number H7000000 - H7000670 on the first stage are affected. You can check online to

got mine yesterday was told by my very trusted dealer that the system is solid and if I don't like it to bring it right back to him (this is why he is my trusted dealer) He did say that I have never dove with anything like it before and you really cant compare it to my other reg XTX50 so I'm really excited about it. I have a pool class today and will get back to you on how it works .

Attachments

• DC7_small.jpg
    DC7_small.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 110
Well I used it in class tonight and Im impressed, kind of hard to explain but its more like breathing from a snorkel than a reg that's how easy it is and you really can just sip the air for lack of a better description. I used it in every position possible with no problems as for the free flow issue I was concerned about it seems to be not a issue at all no more than any other reg.
I will buy the second unit and look forward to using them for side mount.

Back
Top Bottom