Hollis S38 LX Wing - tank straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eleblanc@bell.net

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone:

Okay, so I sort of feel stupid posting this question, but just want to make sure I am setting this up correctly. I have a new Hollis wing I picked up last weekend at BTS, along with Cam straps to attach my tank. I did not get an STA for it, just a velcro padded "tank stabilizer", as this is from my travel setup and I want to keep it as light as possible. I want to attach it my Alum back plate and it would appear that will be no issue. However, I have a question about the tank straps. The top tank strap will be able to be threaded through the slots both in the wing and the plate as they match perfectly. This will ensure the tank is well supported by both the wing and plate. The issue I am having is with the second lower strap. It looks like I must drill (or cut) a hole in the tank strap as the lower mounting hole for the wing to screw to the plate is located in between the two slots. (See image below). Note the steel rivet surrounding the hole in the middle of the lower slot. Is this what I should do, cut a hole in the strap to line up with the mounting hole on the wing and plate? Am I missing something?? ANY info would be most appreciated!

The one I have in the photo below is the second from the right, with the single hole and narrow slots.
Cheers
EJ

picshow1-4_5.jpeg

I might be missing something in the description, but couldn't you just attach the wing to the plate, and put the cam strap over the screws? I can't think of any reason the screw needs to be exposed.

Hi everyone:

Okay, so I sort of feel stupid posting this question, but just want to make sure I am setting this up correctly. I have a new Hollis wing I picked up last weekend at BTS, along with Cam straps to attach my tank. I did not get an STA for it, just a velcro padded "tank stabilizer", as this is from my travel setup and I want to keep it as light as possible. I want to attach it my Alum back plate and it would appear that will be no issue. However, I have a question about the tank straps. The top tank strap will be able to be threaded through the slots both in the wing and the plate as they match perfectly. This will ensure the tank is well supported by both the wing and plate. The issue I am having is with the second lower strap. It looks like I must drill (or cut) a hole in the tank strap as the lower mounting hole for the wing to screw to the plate is located in between the two slots. (See image below). Note the steel rivet surrounding the hole in the middle of the lower slot. Is this what I should do, cut a hole in the strap to line up with the mounting hole on the wing and plate? Am I missing something?? ANY info would be most appreciated!

The one I have in the photo below is the second from the right, with the single hole and narrow slots.
Cheers
EJ

Hi EJ,

Great question. The grommets located at 11" apart on our single wings are only there for use of an STA with a backplate. It is not necessary to also fix the wing to plate with bookscrews as the cam bands do a great job of keeping it secure. If you decide to use bookscrews, you can do so without locking the cam band in place. You will notice our tank straps do not have grommets for this reason.

Thanks,

There is no reason to make a hole in the tank strap.

This is how my Hollis is assembled. I used small plastic bookscrews to hold the wing to the plate to keep it a little less "floppy" when it's not on a tank. I don't remember why I put that large plastic washer there. the strap is obviously a lot tighter when it's holding a tank.

IMG_0597.jpg

Hi EJ,

Great question. The grommets located at 11" apart on our single wings are only there for use of an STA with a backplate. It is not necessary to also fix the wing to plate with bookscrews as the cam bands do a great job of keeping it secure. If you decide to use bookscrews, you can do so without locking the cam band in place. You will notice our tank straps do not have grommets for this reason.

Thanks,

Thanks for the very quick and informative response!! I was wondering about that. I wasn't sure if that was a safe way to do it. So, problem solved...excellent. Love the prompt customer service! :clapping:

Cheers,

EJ

---------- Post added April 1st, 2014 at 08:40 AM ----------

Thanks Sean...this pic is very helpful. I am used to using an STA on my other wing, hence my confusion. I get it now...Thanks for taking the time to respond, 'preciate it !

Safe diving...

EJ

There is no reason to make a hole in the tank strap.

This is how my Hollis is assembled. I used small plastic bookscrews to hold the wing to the plate to keep it a little less "floppy" when it's not on a tank. I don't remember why I put that large plastic washer there. the strap is obviously a lot tighter when it's holding a tank.

View attachment 180858

---------- Post added April 1st, 2014 at 08:42 AM ----------

Thanks Kim. That is what I was thinking, but not sure the system was designed for that, as I am used to diving with an STA on my other set up. So, I have got it now, it's all good !

Safe diving...

EJ

I might be missing something in the description, but couldn't you just attach the wing to the plate, and put the cam strap over the screws? I can't think of any reason the screw needs to be exposed.

Back
Top Bottom