very displeased DG03 owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chipwd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased a DG03 computer from dive gear express back in March of 2013. I did not get it into the water until late July and to my dismay the depth reading was 4' shallower than my other dive computer. I wanted to verify this so I then used it in a pool with a known depth. Same result, the computer read 4' shallower than the actual depth.

I called Hollis and they had me send it back in August 2013. Not really sure what was done other than a notation that the firmware was updated to Rev 1B.

I next used it in Jan 2014, this time in a pool. Same thing happened, computer read 4' shallower than the actual depth. I called and was told I would get an email with a return label. Never happened.

I had to call again two weeks later and this time the email with the return label was sent. I returned the unit and got (I think) a different one sent to me. I took the new one to a pool and it also reads 4' shallower than the actual depth.

I called and was told I would get the email with the return label but it never showed. I had to call again after three weeks and an email sent to your web site with no response. I was again told I would get the email with the return label.

I am VERY unhappy with the less than satisfactory level of customer service but I am more unhappy that I cannot get a working computer. I have yet again contacted your customer service folks and they tell me they will send me the return label email today but I have lost faith that I will end up with a working computer at the end of all of this.

What can you do about this? I am tired of chasing around trying to get a working computer that I will be able to trust. Make me a believer in Hollis again!

what depth are you noticing this difference? and what computer are you comparing readings against?

Most of the dives are in a pool so the depth is a known factor. The other computer(s) are Suunto Gekkoes.

There is no fresh/salt water setting that I can find or see in the manual.

I finally received the email with the return label after three requests and 4 weeks of waiting. It goes back now for a third time.

fresh water in pool?? is there a fresh/salt water setting?

The pressure difference between fresh and salt water isn't enough to account for this. The pressure of 34 ft of fresh water = the equivalent of 33 ft of salt water so unless the fresh water pool is 136 feet deep then there shouldn't be a 4 ft discrepancy in the depth readout. (Or 119 ft if you want to account for the computer rounding to the nearest foot.)

I did contact DGE and I love those folks but they told me to contact Hollis. If I do not get satisfaction from Hollis then I'll go back to DGE and see if they can help.

Does anyone from Hollis monitor this forum? I am disappointed that no one from Hollis has even acknowledged this complaint here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom