Differences between 500SE and Omega 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello, I am SO glad you brought servo back!!!

I am going to be purchasing one of these in the very near future. I was a fanatical Tekna and then Omega II fan, diving them down to 250' and they were without equal for breathing, until my gear was stolen in the 90s and I could not replace them. I am currently on Apeks, but if these new regs are as good as the old ones, I am switching immediately.

However, there seem to be some differences between the two, which the information on the websites does not explain.

The Omega III looks like the same basic design as the II, with the exhaust valve located surrounding the purge button (and much nicer modern styling). It also says it has a "dive/pre-dive setting" which the Omega II did not have. Is the exhaust/purge design, basically, the same as the Omega II? How does the dive/pre dive switch work?

The 500se looks like it has the exhaust valve separated, somehow, from the purge button as the exhaust configuration looks distinctly different from the photos. Is this to address the sometimes "wet" breathing of the Omega II design? The few reviews so far say it is extremely dry. Also, is there a dive/pre dive setting? That would be handy to stop freeflows on my bungied back-up (I dive a long hose rig) when I jump in.

The Omega III materials say it has a metal servo mechanism designed to catch condensation to alleviate dry mouth. I assume that the servo is the same in the Hollis and it has the same benefit.

Can they be adjusted like my Omega II, where it would begin air flow with the purge in 2 inches of water in a bowl? Man, I loved that.

Finally, of course, the $150 price difference ?

Didn't get the Omega 3 because of the propriaraty hose. I'll be diving my Hollis for the first time today.

Thoroughly love my two Hollis 500's breathing great in cold (ny ice diving) and warm, cave country settings.

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Does the Hollis have this feature as in the Oceanic version?

DVT Dry Valve Technology:

The cold forged, over-balanced diaphragm FDXi is environmentally sealed and comes with our patented Dry Valve Technology (DVT). It's in-line design limits the pressure loss inherent in "L" type first stage designs making the FDXi more efficient and lighter due to it's compact form.

Back
Top Bottom