Hollis DG-03 didn't surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katolix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
After a recent dive in salt waters (>40m depth) it didn't “come to the surface” in the end of the dive and continued counting dive time showing 1.1 m depth for more than an hour. Then it came to normal. However, the next dive it behaved the same way, “staying” on 0.9 m. I put the computer to the fresh warm water and it returned back to normal only after 15 min – which creates doubts in a salt crystals as a root cause of the problem. Any ideas what it might be? Pressure sensor is about to die?

Can't answer your original question. But I can say don't dive it again until it is factory serviced. And even then I'd seriously consider getting a new one.

If it's still under warranty send it in, if not you should start looking for a replacement.

Would agree that it is not safe to dive on that computer again until serviced. With Oceanic (and therefore likely Holis as well I believe that if under warranty it wont be an issue but if not under warranty they will likely replace it with a new/refurb unit for $150 with a one year warranty.

Hi All,
After a recent dive in salt waters (>40m depth) it didn't “come to the surface” in the end of the dive and continued counting dive time showing 1.1 m depth for more than an hour. Then it came to normal. However, the next dive it behaved the same way, “staying” on 0.9 m. I put the computer to the fresh warm water and it returned back to normal only after 15 min – which creates doubts in a salt crystals as a root cause of the problem. Any ideas what it might be? Pressure sensor is about to die?

Hi Katolix,

Please contact our customer service team at 888-383-DIVE. Sounds like the unit needs to come back to factory for a warranteed full service calibration. We would be happy to get your issue resolved quickly.

Thank you,

Hollis fixed my DG03 promptly when it got a button stuck. Thanks for the great customer service.

Hi Katolix,

Please contact our customer service team at 888-383-DIVE. Sounds like the unit needs to come back to factory for a warranteed full service calibration. We would be happy to get your issue resolved quickly.

Thank you,

This is why we love Hollis. Nick lurking on message boards and always around to solve our problems!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm on an extended dive trip in the Philippines and won't be able to send it in until I return home. I have to RENT a computer now to finish my current trip. This computer is less than 2 years old and only has a little over a 100 dives on it! I wonder will Hollis honor my warranty if I don't make it home before it expires?

I'm guessing you tried changing the battery before you posted. I've had my DG03 do all kinds of weird stuff when the battery gets low. The unit's "battery test" does not always read low, but my problems go away after a battery change (not that I've had to change them all that often). I've even purchased bad batteries off the shelf, so I would try at least two battery changes before I went to the hassle of sending it back to Hollis unless you have plenty of time and you know it's under warranty. Batteries are cheap and easy to find and changing them is relatively simple (I like that about the DG03). It's also great that a Hollis rep hangs on the board, kudos. I like my DG03. I have one, my wife has one, and we have a spare. Satisfied customer. YMMV, IMHO. Safe diving. :)

Thanks... I do really like the computer and it was quite disappointing to have this problem. That's good advice about changing the battery, but I couldn't find a battery where I was diving (it's the Philippines and if you're outside the major cities even something as simple as a battery can be hard to find... Trust me I asked around :) ).
I wasn't planning to go back to the US until December (which happens to also coincide with the expiration of the warranty). I'm back in civilization now, but unfortunately I've had something come up since I wrote this that requires me to return to the US so I'll be departing on Thursday to come home.

I'm expecting to be home for several weeks at least so I'm going to send it back to Hollis while it's still in warranty and let them go through it and make sure everything is okay. I don't expect to have a chance to dive while I'm home to check if a battery change will fix the problem. Next time I'll take spare batteries with me :wink:

Thanks for replying :)

Back
Top Bottom