Making a SMS100 into a SMS100 double

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So is there a way one could buy a single bladder (that could installed in the right side) from Hollis and have an experience Hollis Tech punch out the holes for the right side, glue the inserts in for the LP inflator and the dump valve in, and have an SMS100 double?

I was ignorant when I bought my SMS100 and didn't realize I would need the 2nd source of buoyancy and don't like drysuits.

The current SMS100 I have has only been dove in a pool once to see if I liked it (LDS let me use their sidemount kit) and I was waiting to get a sidemount regulator kit. Now that I got the kit I realize that I can't take any technical classes without the double bladder.

Can I buy just the single bladder and install it as mentioned above? Is there room inside for two bladders or is the SMS100 double slightly bigger? I would think since you are only supposed to use one of the bladders at a time that there would be enough room.

you can take technical classes without the second bladder, just have to have a source of redundant buoyancy *50lb lift bag*.

many threads on dual bladder wings and why they aren't a good idea.

Agree with Tbone....further....if your going into tech a drysuit is in your future.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do go into Tech Diving you and your money will soon be dearly departed friends....

Crass, expanding on what Deco said, whether you like drysuits or not, you pretty much have to go into them if you're doing dives deeper than 100ft. The buoyancy lost by the wetsuits makes diving without a drysuit pretty gnarly as well as very uncomfortable at the surface.

Pros and cons
Pros of wetsuit, compression at depth means cooler diver at depth, warmer diver at deco, helps promote offgassing
cons of wetsuit, compression at depth causes diver to be grossly overweight at the bottom increasing risk of ascent troubles and increased drag due to air in the wing

pros of drysuit, more balanced thermal comfort and equal buoyancy characteristics. redundant buoyancy in an emergency
cons of drysuit, some find them less comfortable, but you need to try different suits to actually say that. Go to DUI dog days, try the neoprene and bag suits, try with silicone seals etc etc

pros of dual bladder wings: redundant buoyancy
cons of dual bladder wings: reduced lift on both wings due to the other bladder being in there. requires extra LP hose into the wing or oral inflation. Clutters right shoulder which is bad for hanging extra bottles, especially in sidemount.

pros of 50lb lift bag: more versatile, cheaper
cons of 50lb lift bag: requires a bit extra time to deploy compared to extra wing and can throw trim out of whack. Only important if you're in blue water, but should still be able to deploy rather quickly with practice.

Thanks for all the info. I guess I have a little thinking to do. I did know technical = expensive but I seem to underestimate all the time.

also keep in mind the SMS100 is a terrible rig out of the box for sidemount requiring quite a bit of modifications to get it to function properly in a cave. Many discussions of the Edd mods for them on here including the development of the SMS75 and soon to be SMS75x. Look into all of that prior to getting into it. You will be fine without redundant buoyancy for initial transitions into technical diving, but a lift bag is a better decision over modding your current unit.

Thanks for the replies. The place where I am taking the PADI=Tecrec 50. 45. and 46 says that I need the double buoyancy rig unless I use a drysuit so I ended up getting the SMS100D with the dual buoyancy. I want to get into caving but living in MN with terminal cancer makes it hard to justify getting into the caves (sjould have been dead a long time ago so I finally decided to go tech as I had put it off for years). I think I'm just going to spend my time with wrecks and places with awesome reefs. Will be nice to be able to do DECO so I can hit some deeper reefs and wrecks.

I have been thinking about having Edd's modifications done. Taking Tecrec Tech Sidemount right now so they will let you take the other TEcrec courses I mentioned. Taking SDI Solo on Monday and am signed up for Tecrec 40. Assuming everything goes well I might take the TecRec Trimix classes too. They get you down to 300FFSW if I remember right.

Just did my pool today. Was having a hard time vlipping in the 2nd and 4th tanks but got it figured out sorta. Do Edd's mods make it easier to attach more tanks? I love the set up now but it sounds like the mods really help.

I was going to do everything TDI but I really like how the Padi Tecrec books are laid out. They put a loy more information in there where TDI books really just gives you the minimum and then it's up to the teacher and I can't take THAT many notes. Sounds like my instructor is pretty experienced. Has been diving for 20 years and can teach just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom