Using elite 2 harness without the shoulder pads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunchiespg

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got an elite 2 harness in xl/xxl. I wanted the md/lg but the local Hollis distributor was out of stock. But he said it's no problem as the only difference is the length of the webbing which is cut down anyway.

Well this is wrong. I was just in another local dive store that just got a load of stock from a closing down store. They had a large and the extra large. And the pads are a different size! So Hollis gave us wrong information!
So im thinking of running the harness without the pads at all. These ones are too big. I only wanted the elite for the adjustable straps as I dive dry in very cold areas so with thermals flexibility is an issue.

Any issues just taking the pads off?
Thanks

If you are paying for it, why sacrifice anything at all because your LDS is out of stock of item you want. Buy somewhere else or wait until they have stock, or have them order the exact item you want.

If you are paying for it, why sacrifice anything at all because your LDS is out of stock of item you want. Buy somewhere else or wait until they have stock, or have them order the exact item you want.
Because it's Hollis Canada who don't have stock of the large size. And they were the ones saying it is the same.

Im sure I could ask the store to make Hollis send the right pads. But we already built up my new full bpw set up and I don't want to wait weeks for a replacement.
It was part of a pretty huge order of dive kit and it's all pretty much arrived and I want to get out diving while our lakes are not frozen!

And to be honest I don't think the pads really do anything. I think they are purely there to appeal to people switching from a big padded jacket style bcd.

Because it's Hollis Canada who don't have stock of the large size. And they were the ones saying it is the same.

Im sure I could ask the store to make Hollis send the right pads. But we already built up my new full bpw set up and I don't want to wait weeks for a replacement.
It was part of a pretty huge order of dive kit and it's all pretty much arrived and I want to get out diving while our lakes are not frozen!

And to be honest I don't think the pads really do anything. I think they are purely there to appeal to people switching from a big padded jacket style bcd.

I tend to agree.

Are they offering a discount on the harness? I agree with eelnora, you should be getting what you paid for, being able to survive without missing bits is beside the point.

FWIW I don't use any padding on my harness and have no comfort issues.

The store did nothing wrong. I got what I ordered. We placed that order on the advice of Hollis. I saw the conversation from the Hollis rep saying they were all the same.

And yes I got a great deal. Full Hollis set up, harness, steel plate, s38lx wing, stainless cam bands, elite weight system. All for a price only a little above the price of the wing alone.

The store are great and I've no issue with them. And like I said I would have been happy with a basic harness apart from wanting the ability to adjust the shoulders for ease of putting on. So I can't see any reason not to just ditch the pads.
I'll contact Hollis and ask them to send me the right ones which I can always try after they arrive.

The store did nothing wrong. I got what I ordered. We placed that order on the advice of Hollis. I saw the conversation from the Hollis rep saying they were all the same.

And yes I got a great deal. Full Hollis set up, harness, steel plate, s38lx wing, stainless cam bands, elite weight system. All for a price only a little above the price of the wing alone.

The store are great and I've no issue with them. And like I said I would have been happy with a basic harness apart from wanting the ability to adjust the shoulders for ease of putting on. So I can't see any reason not to just ditch the pads.
I'll contact Hollis and ask them to send me the right ones which I can always try after they arrive.

Then all good, sounds like you got an awesome deal. As you don't need the padding and if you are happy, it's time to go diving with your new gear. You are also very lucky you have a good LDS. I think Hollis make some good gear I'm just not so impressed with their customer service so my initial reply maybe somewhat biased.

Yeh I'm a bit annoyed with the wrong information. Especially as we clarified it multiple times. But the gear is really top notch quality. I'm very happy with it.
And less padding means less lead to sink it! :)

Yeh I'm a bit annoyed with the wrong information. Especially as we clarified it multiple times. But the gear is really top notch quality. I'm very happy with it.
And less padding means less lead to sink it! :)

Yes, they do make some nice quality gear. I used to dive a Hollis rig but ended up selling it, long story, nothing to do with its quality though, no complaints in that department.

I had an Elite 2. On mine I could not remove the pads because the webbing was stitched to the pads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom