Hollis F2 - how does the stiffening affect its user?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I owned and loved a pair of Deep Outdoors Sixgills fins that over 8 years served me very well for 431 dives around the world. They were not the fastest but still very good on propulsion, could be used with any kick and were exceptional with tight turns and awkward positioning, something I do a lot for macro photography. But now they are coming apart at the upper joint and so I replaced them with identical looking but stiffer Hollis F2 fins. I have not used the F2s yet but will soon be taking them to Indonesia. Next year I am going to Philippines and then the Red Sea to dive before retiring from the sport.

My question is, how different will the F2s feel by comparison with the DO6Gs?

Being stiffer they will frog kick better, flutter harder and will likely be more precise, a good thing I'd think re photography. I imagine a little harder on the ankles though. I never dove the DO6Gs but found the Hollis, sizing issues aside, to be a very capable fin. I could do all the kicks I use well. I don't use flutter so can't really comment on that one. Being short I found them less than ideal in currents. Enjoy your trip.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 01:05 AM ----------

I'd be interested in your opinion after you return. Cheers.

I find that the F2 fin is a easy fin to use. Leaving the sizing out of the discussion, they deliver adequate power for all types of finning with a single tank. Since they bit soft, compared to Jet fins, they provide adequate power for back finning. Using doubles, at least for me, the F2 to floppy and under powered. Since the fins are small and compact, they are wonderful travel fins. Even they are short, they are fine in a current, just use a strong and relaxed flutter kick. Full disclosure, I usually use free dive fins wheel diving singles and not in a confined space.

Thanks both. I certainly found the DO6Gs good with all types of kick including back finning where necessary. They were great with wreck penetrations, swimming in cenotes etc. The Hollis F2 is identical in shape, size and colour, the only difference being the extra stiffness.

My next trip is to Padang Bai (including Candidasa and Nusa Penida) and Wakatobi. The first part of the trip should have plenty of currenty sites and so I will have a basis for comparison.

I haven't chimed in because I dont have experience with your old fins, however, I recently switched to F2s before our Philippines trip to Anilao/PG. I had some scuba pro seawing novas, but they became too small for me when I bought thicker boots. The F2s are definitely easier on my knees and much easier for positioning adjustment than the Novas - perfect for UW photography in Anilao. However, they are not anywhere near as strong as the novas for swimming in current in PG and I missed them on a couple of dives were we had to fight the current for one reason or another.

Thanks diverjen. Your post was particularly useful as the Seawing Nova was the other fin I considered to replace my DO6Gs. I had heard that the Nova's were very good in current but reports about rest of their performance was less flattering and so I decided against that brand. From experience I know that the DO6Gs, while being competent enough, are not the best against a current but then with most dive sites the guides try to minimise that king of finning and where it is necessary, I have coped without too much of a bother. The F2s are definitely stiffer than the DO6Gs and I am hoping that this will mean they are better in current. That is enough for me.

I have no experience with DO6Gs. The F2 was my first "stiff" fin. I was concerned it would feel completely alien compared with the relatively soft fins I had long used, but it does not, and it has worked well in all but the strongest currents. I suspect its shorter length offsets the effect of the stiffness with regard to being hard on one's legs. What I mean is that it is relatively easy to kick for such a stiff fin. The shorter length also makes precision kicking a snap: I love the macro stuff, and the F2s are light enough to respond easily to small movements, allowing me to hold my position. The fact that they fit in even a carry-on bag clinches the deal for me.

Why??? Not the fins, is it?
Not at all. In fact, I put another thread about my F2s a few days ago in the 'fins' section. To answer my own question from this thread here, the Hollis stiffening has greatly improved an already excellent fin. I bought a pair to replace my Deep Outdoors, took it to Indonesia last month and did 48 dives with them. They are excellent in all respects - compact, lightweight, very powerful propulsion, excellent for tight manoevering, good with frog kicking and if swimming against a current. It is those last 2 points that the F2s have improved over their predecessors.

My reason for retiring from diving next year is more personal and to do with an agreement that I made with my wife when I took up diving in 2006.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom