Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: 1000 Lumen Dive Light - SORRY :)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    The problem with a 2 cell body is the Volts drop from 4.5 to 3. I'm sure the only reason this light is doing so well is it's a good combo between Lumens and burn time.

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

On the road.....

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by timten View Post
    The problem with a 2 cell body is the Volts drop from 4.5 to 3. I'm sure the only reason this light is doing so well is it's a good combo between Lumens and burn time.
    Understandably the burn time will be down, but dang, it is really high as it is now. It wouldn't break my heart if it were cut in half. I am not a cave guy that needs a 3hr light.

If you haven't done it, please think about supporting SB, this is a great place to hang, and as a supporter it's only $3.95/mo. Just go to the "community" tab and "Go red". Thanks!

SUDS Supporter!

Undercover DIR Agent.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    This light is perfect for me. Size is not an issue as I am used to 3 C-cell lights for backups. They tuck neatly under my arms on my harness. The extra burn time is a serious bonus IMO. Plus I do not want to have expensive batteries in my backups as they batteries get changed often. Having said that, I can see how someone would want a smaller light, for certain situations. I like to keep a third backup light in a thigh pocket, and prefer to have that as small as possible.
    *This space for rent*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbmata View Post
    I don't know whether to worship you, or hunt you to display you over my fireplace.

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by timten View Post

That's easily correctable. You just covert it to a 6-AAA flashlight. That way you get a shorter flashlight. (not quite as short as a 2 C cell though I'd guess). I'm betting "burn time" would be reduced with AAA's also.

They would have to use one of those "drop in AAA battery cartridges".

They look like this

note/disclaimer: This is from the Dorcy 180 Lumen light.

The light has two banks of batteries. Lets call them "Bank 1" and "Bank 2" for easy reference. (as shown on the below diagram)

Each bank has 3 AAA batteries in it and is 4.8 volts.

The two banks are wired in parallel to the connector that goes to bulb. (4.8 volts output from the parallel banks).

As shown on this diagram I made of previous pics

Also, you can run the light with just "one bank" of batteries (of 3 AAA's).

It has the same brightness of the LED, but the only difference is porportional reduced battery time as the light is only drawing off one bank as opposed to two banks.

Not sure why you'd want to do this on a dive if you had 6 new AAA's, unless you're a few batteries short at the dive site and still want to use it.

Registered

BB Support Team intern

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Purchased the 500 about a month ago and loved it. My dive buddy initially exhibited "LED envy" so she's gonna end up with it.

I just ordered the 1000.

If you guys come out with a 2000 next month, I'm gonna have to find a second dive buddy or be sooooooo grumpy !!

I may also have to find a new home.
    Jax likes this.
    Fighting over the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics.
    Even if you win, you still ride home on the ..................................:shortbus:

PS, I only look like my avatar from the shoulders up!

SUDS Supporter!

Undercover DIR Agent.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    So um yeah, about this flood reflector.....
    *This space for rent*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbmata View Post
    I don't know whether to worship you, or hunt you to display you over my fireplace.

Wow.....what a DB

DERP

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Well, I just received the text message that mine has arrived at my Proxy address in NY. She just sent me a picture (since I will not be seeing her (or my new purchase) until June 29th) and wow that is a big light. Placing it on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper for reference kind of hits home just how big it is.
    JamesK likes this.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

- Pictures from a photographic non-achiever
    Favorite Albums = THAILAND 2009 .... LAKE TAHOE, CA ...

HITLER IS NOT AOW - Download your copy here available from my website Diving My Way

My Anatidaephobia group meets Tuesdays down by the park pond.
    My posts = "Now you see them....now you don't". It is difficult to do a good job while operating in an uneven environment.

Registered

sampling good bourbons while
    waiting for the ice to melt...

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
    Well, I just received the text message that mine has arrived at my Proxy address in NY. She just sent me a picture (since I will not be seeing her (or my new purchase) until June 29th) and wow that is a big light. Placing it on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper for reference kind of hits home just how big it is.
    Isn't it the same dimensions as the 500 (just updated electronics)?
    Bob

getting a Kraken!!!!

Wow.....what a DB

DERP

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by rhwestfall View Post
    Isn't it the same dimensions as the 500 (just updated electronics)?

I believe so but I never saw the 500 in real life so seeing my 1000 on that piece of paper put things in perspective.
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

- Pictures from a photographic non-achiever
    Favorite Albums = THAILAND 2009 .... LAKE TAHOE, CA ...

HITLER IS NOT AOW - Download your copy here available from my website Diving My Way

My Anatidaephobia group meets Tuesdays down by the park pond.
    My posts = "Now you see them....now you don't". It is difficult to do a good job while operating in an uneven environment.

Registered

sampling good bourbons while
    waiting for the ice to melt...

Dives
    100 - 199
    my bad, thought you had gotten sucked in like the rest of us on the 500..... only to have this next piece of candy dangled in our faces (LOL).
    Bob

getting a Kraken!!!!