Is a housing for M43 and NEX cams planned?

I would buy an Ikelite housing for my M43 or NEX below

• Olympus P1

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Olympus P2

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Olympus PL1

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Olympus Future M43 model

• Panasonic G1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panasonic G2

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Panasonic GF1

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Panasonic GH1

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Panasonic Future M43 Model

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Sony NEX3

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Sony NEX5

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Sony Future NEX Model

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowhands

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are there any serious plans to build a new smaller series of housings with interchangeable ports for the M43 cams? There has been a little teaser that Ikelite might consider doing housings for them but no activity.

I really don't think the current DLSR housings would appeal in this market, they lose all the advantages of the small sized cameras, and there are already small housings from Olympus, Fisheye FIX, and 10Bar, which have lower size and cost than the full sized DSLR housings. Sony will introduce ssimilar NEX cameras on 5/11 that would also benefit. Just think of all those M43 and NEX cameras crying out for underwater housngs and Ikelite DS-161 Strobes to shoot HD videos!

Olympus E-PL1
epl1_camera_hand.jpg

Panasonic DMC-GF1
dmc-gf1k-k.jpg

Sony NEX Mockups
Sony-PMA_GP_onp_lg.jpg

Here is a hands on preview of Sony NEX from PC magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363592,00.asp
Here's another: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1273554059.html

Ideally a housing for this market would be the size of the compact camera cases with new ports, but I could live with the midsized case, like for the Olympus C8080 housing. Maybe you could use that port?

IKELITE Housing for Olympus C8080 (discontinued)
o880front.jpg

I know this would be an engineering effort, but I see these new cameras as a rising tide in the market. Don't miss the boat. You have already designed a lot of the pieces --put one together in your skunk works and launch it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom