lx5 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akhlut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to buy an underwater housing for my panasonic lx5 camera.
I already have an ikelite ds125 strobe.
I would have no hesitation getting the ikelite lx5 housing (as i've slr housings previously) but i am unsure about the possibilities for wide angle. I have read concerns about soft corners on images and vignetting.

Can you please advise on the best option and what is the image quality likely to be?

The other option i have considered is the 10bar housing in which a panasonic wa lens adapter can be fittted directly on the camera and a dome port replaces the standard flat port. Do ikelite offer a similar solution or are likely to in the near future?

I am looking to buy an underwater housing for my panasonic lx5 camera.
I already have an ikelite ds125 strobe.
I would have no hesitation getting the ikelite lx5 housing (as i've slr housings previously) but i am unsure about the possibilities for wide angle. I have read concerns about soft corners on images and vignetting.

Can you please advise on the best option and what is the image quality likely to be?

The other option i have considered is the 10bar housing in which a panasonic wa lens adapter can be fittted directly on the camera and a dome port replaces the standard flat port. Do ikelite offer a similar solution or are likely to in the near future?

The Ikelite LX5 housing will be widely available in the USA in about two weeks. I've heard from Jack Connick at Optical Ocean that he will carry them soon. Jack also sells the 10Bar housing, so can give advice on both.
10Bar Panasonic LX5 Housing - 10Bar Underwater Housings - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

In the UK, you might find it soon at:
Cameras Underwater Store
I have bought from this dealer and highly recommend them.

According to the Ikelite webpage for the Panasonic LX5 housing, it has an M67 threaded port, so close up lenses and select wide lenses will attach. Ikelite recommends their W20, but advises that you have to zoom a few clicks to avoid vignetting and the net increase in Field of View is only 10-20%.
Underwater Housing for Panasonic Digital Camera

Another obvious option is the M67 air dome lens:
Fantasea BigEye Lens M67 - Lenses & Filters - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

akhlut,

We are attempting to locate and review the DMW-LWA52 Wide Angle Conversion Lens for the LX5. If possible we will offer a custom port for this lens. We hope to have additional information available soon.

Regards,

thanks Brett

DMW-LWA52 sounds like it would be an excellent option.
I look forward to your update.

We did look into this lens, and the LX-5 + W-20 combination has a much wider FOV than the LX-5 with Panasonic wide angle conversion lens. We don't feel that the benefit of such a set-up would warrant the much higher added cost for this option.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

We are attempting to locate and review the DMW-LWA52 Wide Angle Conversion Lens for the LX5. If possible we will offer a custom port for this lens. We hope to have additional information available soon.

Regards,

Will a custom port replace the the existing port?...or will it be similar to the ikelite WD-4 Wide Angle Conversion Dome?

Akhlut- We did evaluate the DMW-LWA52 lens and found that there is not enough gain to warrant a custom port to accommodate this lens. The W-20 ends up being a less expensive option, with a significant gain in angle of coverage and the flexibility to remove and replace the lens underwater.

We do not intend to offer a custom port for the DMW-LWA52 lens at this time.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Jean...that is a shame...the ike housing would have been on par with the 10bar housing for wide angle options (18mm wide angle with good image quality).
what would be the "significant gain in angle of coverage" with the W-20?
would you not have to zoom in several steps to avoid vignetting which would negate the wide angle coverage?
Is the W-20 suitable for the wider 24mm lenses on current cameras? If not do ikelite intend to produce such a conversion lens in the near future?

kind regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom